Healthy Tex-Mex Chicken And Rice Casserole
It's casserole time! And today I'm serving it up Tex-Mex style! This healthy Tex-Mex chicken and rice casserole is a fun and tasty meal for any day of the week. I'm seasoning the rice with an array of spices (basil, chili powder, cumin, and black pepper) before tossing it with chicken, colorful bell peppers, and tomatoes in a casserole dish.
Prep Time 30 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 50 minutes
- 2 cups Lundberg white basmati rice
- 4 cups gluten free chicken broth divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 pounds chicken breast cut into bite-size pieces
- salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1/2 cup onion diced
- 2 tomatoes seeded and chopped
- 1 pound of bell peppers chopped
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup aged cheddar cheese grated
Cook rice: Combine rice, 3 cups of the chicken broth and butter in a pot and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat with the lid on and let the rice steam for 10 more minutes. Uncover and fluff with a fork.
Cook Chicken: While the rice is cooking, heat the remaining 1 cup of the chicken broth in a pot. Season bite size pieces of chicken with salt. Simmer in chicken stock for ten minutes.
Remove chicken with a slotted spoon to a dish and set aside.
Preheat oven to 425℉
Saute onion: Add oil to a skillet. Sauté onion until tender, about 4-5 minutes.
Combine: Stir onion into cooked rice.
Season rice mixture with basil, chili powder, cumin, and pepper. Stir.
Transfer rice mixture to your baking dish.
Stir in cooked chicken, bell peppers, and tomatoes.
Bake: Cover and bake for 20 minutes.
Top with grated cheddar cheese.
Serve with gluten free salsa.
- If you have leftover chicken in your fridge, you can skip Step 2 and just cut up your leftover chicken into bite size pieces.
- I love that there's so many different ways you can eat this casserole. You can stuff it in corn tacos, roll it up in a gluten-free tortilla, or just toss it in a bowl with the homemade paleo salsa on top. Or maybe even a slice of lime!