Healthy Lemony Marinated Zucchini Salad
Zucchini is delicious raw, especially when it is marinated before being added to a salad.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Total Time 15 minutes
- 1 pound of zucchini thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1/2 red onion thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons pistachios
- 10-20 Kalamata olives
- 2 slices bacon cooked and chopped
- 2 tablespoons goat cheese
- For the marinade:
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves finely minced or pressed
- For Toasting Pistachios:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 garlic clove minced
- For Vinaigrette:
- ½ cup good extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons Braggs apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil chopped
- 1 teaspoon gluten free Dijon mustard
- 1 clove minced fresh garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
Marinate zucchini: Slice zucchini into thin strips using a mandoline and place zucchini in a shallow baking dish. Add olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper and garlic to a small bowl and stir. Pour marinade over zucchini, cover and place in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
When you are ready to assemble your salad, Toast Pistachios: Heat butter in a saucepan over medium heat until it bubbles and begins to brown. Turn off the flame and add garlic and pistachios. Stir well to coat the pistachios until slightly toasted.
Assemble Salad: Drain zucchini and discard marinade. Roll each slice of zucchini and divide zucchini among 4 plates.
Top each plate of zucchini with slices of red onion, toasted pistachios, olives, bacon and goat cheese.
For vinaigrette:Whisk together in a small bowl: olive oil, vinegar, basil, dijon mustard, garlic, salt, and pepper. Drizzle over salad as desired.
- Allow 2 hours for marinating zucchini in the refrigerator before assembling your salad.
- Some tips about olive oil! To be sure that you’re buying a high-quality olive oil, look for an extra virgin olive oil (EVOO); otherwise, it has been chemically refined. For the freshest olive oil, check the harvest date on the label and make sure it is within one year. The oil should come in a dark glass bottle and be stored in a cool, dark cabinet.
Calories: 306kcal | Carbohydrates: 7.5g