Wild Cod Chowder (Whole 30 And Low-Carb)
Wild cod chowder is super fast to make and delicious! And it's gluten-free, dairy-free, low-carb, and Whole 30 compliant. 😊
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
- 8 oz. no nitrate bacon cooked and chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1½ cups leeks sliced
- 2 carrots peeled and sliced (optional)
- 1½ tablespoons coconut flour
- 3 cups gluten free chicken stock homemade or store bought
- 1 13.5 ounce can organic coconut milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- 12 ounces wild cod fillets cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 scallion thinly sliced as garnish
- cayenne pepper optional
Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large pot. Add leeks and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Then add garlic and carrots (optional) and cook another 3 minutes.
Add coconut flour and stir,about 1 minute. Pour in chicken stock, coconut milk, and season with turmeric, coriander, salt, pepper and bay leaf, stir and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to moderately low. Add the cod. Cook until cod is cooked through, about 8 minutes
Discard bay leaf.
Ladle into individual bowls and garnish with scallions, cooked bacon and just a pinch of cayenne pepper.
- If you're following a low-carb way of eating, you may want to eliminate the carrots.
- To clean the leeks, cut off the dark green tough leaves. Next, cut a thin slice from the root and run the leeks under water to wash away all the soil from the inner layers. Finally, slice crossways up to the root end and discard the end.
- If you're in the mood for a heartier soup, you could also add some diced up Yukon Gold potatoes at the beginning of your cooking right along with the leeks. The starch will add more body to your soup. However, you would have to cook the potatoes in your stock mixture until tender for about fifteen minutes before adding the cod.
Calories: 352kcal | Carbohydrates: 10.1g