Stuffed Zucchini Boats
Beautiful green sticks of zucchini hollowed into boats and filled with sausage and Gruyere cheese are so incredibly tasty and fun to eat too!
- extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 medium zucchini
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion minced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 pound Premio Italian sweet sausage
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 cup Gruyere cheese grated
- Marinara sauce for dipping
Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a baking pan with parchment paper and brush with olive oil.
Wash zucchini and trim the ends from the zucchini and cut them in half lengthwise. Scoop out the inside of each zucchini half with a small spoon leaving a little less than 1/4 inch on the sides. Chop the pulp and set aside.
Sprinkle the zucchini halves with salt and pepper, transfer to the prepared baking sheet and bake for 6 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and chopped zucchini pulp and continue cooking for 3 more minutes. Slip each sausage out of its casing and add to skillet. Crumble up the sausage with a spatula, combining with the vegetables while sautéing. Cook for 15 more minutes. Remove from the heat and mix in the eggs.
Spoon mixture into each zucchini boat, top with cheese and bake for 25 minutes. Serve with marinara sauce.
- I use Premio Italian sweet sausage in this recipe. Feel free to substitute any sausage you prefer: hot or mild, turkey sausage, or even ground beef. It's up to you.
- I top my zucchini boats with Gruyere cheese. They would also be great topped with mozzarella cheese, Parmesan, or provolone.
Calories: 161kcal | Carbohydrates: 5.1g