ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS CLASSIC SHEPHERD’S PIE
The best paleo shepherd's pie with the healthiest ingredients. Your whole family is going to love this absolutely delicious classic shepherd's pie.
- 6-7 large potatoes peeled and quartered
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 5 tablespoons butter divided
- 3 tsp. salt divided
- dash of pepper
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 onion minced
- 1 carrot diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 3 pounds ground lamb
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Red Boat
- 1 cup chicken stock
- dash of nutmeg
Preheat oven to 400℉.
Steam potatoes for 20 minutes. Drain and place in the bowl of your food processor fitted with the large chopping blade. Add coconut milk, 2 tblsp. butter, 2 tsps. of salt and a dash of pepper. Process until fluffy and set aside.
Heat oil in a large skillet. Add onion and carrot and cook on low heat for 10 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Add ground lamb and stir over a medium heat, breaking up meat with a spatula for 5 more minutes. Drain lamb mixture. Pour in stock, Red boat, and add tomato paste, 1 tsp. salt, and nutmeg. Stir. Simmer until thickened for 5 minutes. Spoon into 2 quart casserole dish. Spoon the mashed potatoes around the top. Dot the remaining 2 tblsp. of butter around the potatoes. Bake for 40-50 minutes. Ovens may vary so check after 40 minutes and bake until the casserole is done to your liking.
- I used coconut oil, but you can use extra-virgin olive oil or avocado oil if you prefer
- For the coconut milk I use in this recipe, I recommend Native Forest that is organic, certified gluten-free, and canned with non-BPA packaging. Native Forest doesn’t add any extra sugar or sweeteners, just pure coconut goodness. There is also a “light” variety that should also work beautifully with this recipe.
- If dairy agrees with you, milk can be used instead of coconut milk.
- Many shepherd's pie recipes call for Worcester sauce which I switched out for Red Boat. All of Red Boat’s products are gluten-free as they do not contain wheat or wheat by-products and are produced in a gluten free facility. The ingredients are quite simple: just anchovy and sea salt.