Quick Easy Marinara Sauce
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove finely chopped
- 2 stalks of celery finely chopped
- 2 carrots finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 2 28-ounce cans of tomato puree or crushed tomatoes if you like your sauce chunky
- 1 6-ounce tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon of oregano
- grated parmesan cheese to taste optional
- In a large casserole pot, heat the oil over a medium flame. Add the onions, garlic, celery, and carrots and sauté until the onions are translucent for about 10 minutes.
- Turn the flame down to a simmer and slowly add the tomato puree, tomato paste, bay leaf, salt, oregano and parmesan (optional).
- Stir and simmer uncovered over a low heat until the sauce thickens, about 1 hour. Remove and discard the bay leaf.
- Your sauce is ready to enjoy now or you can store your marinara sauce in the fridge for up to one week.
- Both Muir Glen and Bionaturae tomato puree and tomato paste are gluten-free.
- If you're following a low-carb way of eating, choose tomato puree and tomato paste with no added sugar.
- Also you can eliminate the carrots if you prefer.