This summer we are reaping a bountiful harvest from our organic vegetable garden (more about our garden here). The zucchinis and cucumbers are taking over their raised garden beds while the kale continues to grow, and the peppers are ripening two or three at a time.
As I look back on many incidences this summer that could have possibly sabotaged our harvest, I am all the more grateful. Our dog ate the first kale crop. It was obvious when she showed up at the back door with dirty paws and a dirty snout. Stacking some wood around the kale has kept her from trying that again.
Then there were insects to deal with, extreme heat and drought, and this past week our daughter told us that she had seen a rabbit darting out of the garden. It must have been Peter Rabbit’s cousin.
Despite all of this, our garden has survived, and I am finding new ways to be creative with serving these wholesome vegetables.
Zucchini is tasty sliced, brushed with olive oil and grilled in a grilling basket or pan directly on the barbecue. Another way is to sauté it on the stove in garlic and a little olive oil. It’s also delicious simmered in marinara sauce and sprinkled with parmesan cheese or mixed with bacon and corn as I did in my recipe here.
You can blend cucumbers in a smoothie or follow my recipe below for a
quick, fresh cucumber salad.
Summertime is a terrific time to say, “Pass the veggies, please.”
Peel your cucumbers. Scrape a fork down the length of each cucumber and all around to make a fancy design when sliced.
Then slice into rounds and let them marinate in the delicious vinegar and oil dressing. Yum.
Enjoy your summer.
- 2 cucumbers
- 3 tablespoons tarragon flavored vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 gram Stevia optional
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/2 onion cut in small slices
- Peel your cucumbers. Scrape a fork down the length of each cucumber and all around to make a fancy design when sliced.
- Combine the next 6 ingredients in a bowl and toss with the cucumber slices.
“Yea, the Lord shall give that which is good; and our land shall yield her increase.” Psalm 85:12
- How To Cook Tomahawk Rib Eye Steak - October 3, 2018
- Keto Chicken Piccata - August 3, 2018
- Keto Low-Carb Salmon With White Wine Sauce - June 12, 2018
- Low Carb Meatloaf With A Delicious Twist - April 10, 2018
- Our Keto Journey Part 2: Getting Rid Of Stubborn Pounds And Guarding Against Alzheimer’s - March 24, 2018