Cheese lover’s zucchini casserole tastes like pizza! It only takes minutes to assemble. Then it bakes while while you prepare the rest of your meal.
During our summer growing season we had so many zucchinis in our vegetable garden, I found that I was serving them everyday. So that my family wouldn’t get tired of eating this nutritious vegetable, I had to create a new zucchini recipe.
After some experimentation, I came up with this one. It takes only minutes to assemble and bakes while you prepare the rest of the meal.
As a mom, I know that getting your kids to eat a vegetable dish can be difficult. Cheese Lover’s Zucchini Casserole gets the thumbs up here at our home every time.
No wonder, it actually has a pizza-like taste!
Let me show you how easy it is to make.
There’s only five ingredients plus salt and pepper.
- extra-virgin olive oil
- mozzarella cheese
- gluten free marinara sauce
- parmesan cheese
*Free printable recipe card is available at the end of the post.
To start, preheat your oven to 400℉.
Cut your zucchini into strips.
I use this mandoline slicer. I love this simple tool for cutting up thin strips. The food holder protects your hand from the blade while you slice. The middle picture is a view from underneath where you can see where the slice comes out.
Then toss zucchini with olive oil. And spread the zucchini slices on a baking dish lined with parchment paper, season with salt and pepper and roast until they’re just starting to brown, about 10-15 minutes.
Then turn your oven down to 350℉.
Spread marinara sauce in the bottom of a casserole dish. Arrange one layer of zucchini over sauce, sprinkle mozzarella and top with another layer of zucchini and then mozzarella cheese again.
Bake for 25 minutes.
Top with marinara sauce.
Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and serve as a vegetable with your favorite entree!
Pro tip and recipe notes
- Roasting the zucchini will keep the casserole from becoming watery.
I hope you love this fresh casserole as much as we do. Happy cooking!
Love zucchini? Try these recipes
Zucchini Lasagna Casserole That Really Rocks (With Cooking Video): Think lasagna with zucchini instead of noodles. Everyone in my family loves this dish, and I’m sure you will too. Each mouthful keeps you salivating for the next bite.
6 Healthy And Delicious Zoodles (Zucchini Noodles) Recipes: Here are my favorite zoodles recipes. They’re so fun to make and very fun to eat too.
Healthy Lemony Marinated Zucchini Salad: Zucchini is delicious raw, especially when it is marinated before being added to a salad.
Watch ho to make it
Cheese Lover's Zucchini Casserole
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pound of zucchini sliced
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese divided
- 2 tablespoons gluten free marinara sauce homemade or jar
- grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400℉
- Line a baking pan with parchment paper. Toss zucchini with olive oil. Then spread the zucchini slices on the parchment-lined baking pan, season with salt and pepper and roast until they are just starting to brown, about 10-15 minutes.
- Turn oven down to 350℉
- Spread 2 tablespoons of marinara sauce in bottom of a casserole dish. Arrange one layer of zucchini over sauce, sprinkle mozzarella and top with another layer of zucchini and then mozzarella cheese again. Bake for 25 minutes.
- Top with marinara sauce.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and serve as a vegetable with your favorite entree!
- Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies - November 30, 2021
- Pumpkin Spice Pancakes (Gluten Free) - November 19, 2021
- Gluten Free Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies (Egg Free) - November 5, 2021
- Spoon Bread Recipe With Rosemary And Bacon - July 14, 2021
- Country Style Pork Ribs In The Oven (Low Carb) - May 4, 2021