This is a delicious low-carb keto lasagna!
Sensational taste alert!
As I’m writing this, it’s raining heavily outside which has cooled things off a bit and that makes it the kind of day for zucchini sausage and beef casserole.
The kind of day when you just want to curl up with some rainy day comfort food.
So here is that recipe for zucchini, sausage and beef casserole that I promised you a few weeks ago. This dish all started when I turned my scrumptious cheese lover’s zucchini casserole side dish into a hearty main dish by adding ground beef and sausage.
Think lasagna with zucchini instead of noodles.
Everyone in my family loves this zucchini, sausage and beef casserole, and I’m sure you will too. Each mouthful keeps you salivating for the next bite.
As always, I recommend grass-fed beef. It’s healthier and contains more nutrients than its grain-fed counterpart. However, it sometimes can be difficult to find grass-fed beef in supermarkets (and often I’ve seen supermarkets overpricing these meats). That’s why I was delighted to discover US Wellness Meats. Their grass-fed beef is recognized for its exceptional taste, quality and health benefits, and you can order directly online from their website to have it delivered to your door. How easy is that?
Ok, without further ado, here’s how to make zucchini, sausage and beef casserole that really rocks.
First, you will make a quick marinara sauce and let it simmer one hour before starting your casserole or you can use your favorite store bought gluten free sauce.
Now for the zucchini, sausage, and beef casserole. Preheat your oven to 400℉.
Slice your zucchini into very thin slices. I use this mandoline slicer. I love this simple tool for cutting up thin strips. The food holder protects your hand from the blade while you slice. The middle picture is a view from underneath where you can see where the slice comes out.
Next, line your baking sheet with parchment paper and brush it with oil. Spread the zucchini slices on the oiled paper, sprinkle zucchini with salt and pepper and roast but do not brown, about 8-10 minutes. Roasting the zucchini will keep the casserole from becoming watery.
Meanwhile, it’s time to cook the sausage. I used Premio Sweet Italian Sausage. You’ll need to slip each sausage out of its casing, add a little water to the pan, and cook for about 10 minutes. Crumble up the sausage with a spatula while it sautés. Spoon into a bowl and set aside.
And now the ground beef filling. Season with salt. Brown the beef in a pan, drain, and then add sauce and let it simmer for a minute or two.
O.K. we’re on the home stretch.
When the zucchini slices are roasted, turn your oven temperature down to 350℉.
Spoon some sauce into the bottom of a baking dish. Add one layer of zucchini, a layer of beef mixture and sprinkle with mozzarella.
Add another layer of zucchini.
Now a layer of sausage. Mmm. Can you believe all of this goodness in one meal?
Top with sauce, another layer of mozzarella, and finally a layer of zucchini. So pretty and elegant.
Finally, bake uncovered for 30 minutes letting the delicious aroma fill your house.
Feast your eyes on this scrumptious slice. As you can see, I doubled the amount of beef and sausage (with 6 adults in the house, I’m always afraid that there will not be enough). The recipe only calls for one pound of each.
Dinner’s ready. Dig in. There’s plenty for everyone. 🙂
Pin it and save!
Zucchini, Sausage And Beef Casserole That Really Rocks
- 3-4 medium zucchinis
- 3 cups of gluten free Marinara sauce homemade or store bought
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound Premio sweet Italian sausage it's gluten free
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 400℉
- Slice zucchini into very thin slices. Line your baking pan with parchment paper and brush with olive oil. Then spread the zucchini slices on oiled parchment paper and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast about 8-10 minutes. Watch carefully so they do not brown.
- Turn oven temperature down to 350℉
- Meanwhile, slip each sausage out of its casing, add a little water to your skillet and cook for about 8-10 minutes. Crumble up the sausage with a spatula while it sautés. Spoon into a bowl and set aside.
- Season ground beef with salt. Brown the beef in a pan, drain off about half the fat, and then add one cup of sauce, stir and let it simmer for a minute or two.
- Spoon sauce into bottom of your casserole dish. Layer with zucchini strips, the ground beef mixture, one and a half cups of cheese, zucchini strips, sausage, one cup of sauce, the remaining one and a half cups of cheese and a final layer of zucchini strips.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes. Serve immediately with extra sauce and grated parmesan cheese, if you like.