Here’s your step by step guide to make amazing classic three-cheese Italian lasagna casserole with intensely flavored sauce, just the right balance of cheeses, chunky beef, sweet Italian sausage, and gluten free pasta.
Need to feed a crowd or craving some comfort food? Classic three-cheese Italian lasagna casserole is always one of the recipes at the top of my list in these situations. With its intensely flavored sauce, just the right balance of cheeses, chunky beef, sweet Italian sausage, and gluten free pasta, it’s always a big hit for dinner.
When I made this dish this weekend, I realized that I had never shared it here on the blog. Probably because it’s always gobbled up before I have a chance to to take a photo. But this time I made sure our Gluten Free Homestead team took lots of pictures. 😉
So here is my step-by-step guide to making amazing Italian lasagna!
Step number one is the sauce!
You can make a homemade sauce or you can use your favorite gluten free sauce from a jar. Prego says it is gluten free right on the label.
If you’re going to make homemade sauce, do that an hour before starting your lasagna and simmer it on the back burner of your stove.
Step number two is cooking the lasagna noodles. I used Tinkyada gluten free noodles for this recipe. Even those at your table who don’t need to eat gluten free will enjoy these noodles. They’re great tasting, easy to digest, and never mushy.
Cook your lasagna noodles according to the package directions. Add some salt to the water, as well as a little olive oil to keep the noodles from sticking. When they’re finished cooking, drain the water, rinse the noodles with cool water, and lay the noodles flat on parchment paper to keep them from sticking together until you are ready to use them.
On to step three! Slip each sausage out of its casing, add a little water to your skillet and brown for about 8-10 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
After this, season the ground beef with salt. Brown the beef in a pan, drain off about half the fat, and then add one cup of sauce, stir, and let it simmer for a minute or two. This is going to fill your house with the most delicious aroma.
Next mix the ricotta cheese, egg, parsley, salt and pepper in another bowl. Set aside.
Finally, you’re ready to assemble your four layers: one layer with mozzarella cheese, one with ricotta, another with mozzarella, and a final layer with parmesan.
Next add another layer of the lasagna noodles, ricotta cheese mixture, sausage, and sauce.
Your third layer will be lasagna noodles, sauce, and mozzarella cheese. Cheese is essential for each layer. Sorry, I didn’t get pictures of that third layer, but I think you get the idea. 🙂
Top the final layer of lasagna noodles, with lots of sauce and lots of grated parmesan cheese.
Cover and bake for 45 minutes. Then remove the cover and bake for just 10 minutes more.
I know you are dying to dig in right away (aren’t these pictures making you hungry?), but let it stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Then slice it up into squares and serve with extra sauce.
Ta-dah! The best gluten free classic Italian lasagna on the planet. 😉 Buon appetito! Have a happy and healthy week friends!
If you enjoyed this recipe, help support the blog by buying me a coffee. 🙂 Thank you!
Want to save this recipe? Pin it!
Gluten Free Classic Italian Lasagna
- 1 package gluten free Tinkyada Lasagna noodles cooked according to package directions.
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 pound Premio Italian sweet sausage
- 3 cups gluten free marinara sauce
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350℉
- Slip each sausage out of its casing, add a little water to your skillet and cook for about 8-10 minutes. Crumble up the sausage with a spatula while it sautés. Spoon into a bowl and set aside.
- Season ground beef with salt. Brown the beef in a pan, drain off about half the fat, and then add one cup of sauce, stir and let it simmer for a minute or two.
- Mix ricotta cheese, egg, parsley, salt and pepper in a bowl. Set aside.
- Spoon some sauce into the bottom of your casserole dish. Layer with noodles, ground beef mixture, half of the mozzarella cheese, then another layer of lasagna noodles, ricotta cheese mixture, sausage, lasagna noodles, some sauce, and the rest of the mozzarella cheese and then the final layer of lasagna noodles, sauce and parmesan cheese.
- Cover and bake for 45 minutes. Then remove the cover and bake for 10 minutes more. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
- How To Cook Tomahawk Rib Eye Steak - October 3, 2018
- Keto Chicken Piccata - August 3, 2018
- Keto Low-Carb Salmon With White Wine Sauce - June 12, 2018
- Low Carb Meatloaf With A Delicious Twist - April 10, 2018
- Our Keto Journey Part 2: Getting Rid Of Stubborn Pounds And Guarding Against Alzheimer’s - March 24, 2018