More than a century ago, my husband’s great-grandmother from Italy would make pizza fritelle. She passed down the tradition to her daughter who would make them, and so on. You get the picture. This tradition was passed on from generation to generation. Every Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter we would look forward to Grandma’s pizza fritelle.
Then we found out that my husband and 2 sons had non-celiac gluten sensitivity. It was so sad that they could not indulge in this special treat anymore.
I was determined to recreate a gluten free version of pizza frittelle.
We’ll add raisins and lemon zest to our dough. Here’s how to zest your lemon. A lot of the flavor of the lemon is in the peel so with a microplane, grate only the outer layer of the skin, rotating the lemon for just the zest and not the white pith which can be bitter.
Some foods are good for you and some foods just taste good. These gluten free pizza fritelle are awesome.
Gluten Free Pizza Fritelle
- 1/2 cup of water
- 3 tablespoons organic butter
- pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup Bob's Red Mill gluten free all purpose baking flour
- 1/2 cup organic raisins
- 3 organic eggs
- zest of one organic lemon
- gluten free powdered sugar
- olive oil for frying
- Bring water to a boil with the butter and a pinch of salt. Add the flour, stirring into a nice warm dough. Cook on low for 5 minutes. Then let cool about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, scrub the lemon with a vegetable brush. A lot of the flavor of the lemon is in the peel so with a microplane, grate only the outer layer of the skin, rotating the lemon for just the zest and not the white pith which can be bitter. If you don't have a microplane, you may use a regular grater.
- Next, combine dough and eggs in a mixing bowl and beat for 1 minute. Then stir in raisins and lemon zest.
- Fry the dough, a tablespoon at a time in hot oil (about 350℉) in a deep pot until golden. (The dough should sink a little and then rise to the top. If they do not sink at all, the oil is too hot. Also, the oil should definitely not be smoking.)
- With a spider spoon, lift out of the oil and drain the pizza fritelle on a paper towel. Dust with powdered sugar and serve.
I appreciate your comments. Add yours in the box below. Thanks.
- Cheesy Cauliflower With Ham Casserole (Low-Carb) - May 21, 2019
- Pork Tenderloin Cordon Bleu - April 25, 2019
- Low-Carb Meatballs In Smoked Paprika Sauce - April 1, 2019
- How My Morning Routine Gives Me a Healthy Start to the Day - March 25, 2019
- Tastiest Low-Carb Keto Stuffed Cabbage - February 28, 2019