Chocolate drizzled coconut macaroons are cookies with the healthiest ingredients! Yes, please. 😊
These macaroons are every coconut lovers dream cookie: a ball of crispy shredded coconut, moist and chewy on the inside, golden on the outside, sweetened with raw honey, and drizzled with decadent dark chocolate.
Please Note: Some links are affiliate links which means I will earn a small commission if you buy the item at no extra cost to you. These small sales are how I keep the site up and running. Thanks for your support!
Lately, my husband John and I have been trying to eliminate milk, refined sugar, and most flours (yes that includes gluten free ones!) from our diet.
This makes it a bit tricky when we start craving a cookie or pastry with our tea. Coconut macaroons to the rescue. These cookies are sure to satisfy anybody’s sweet tooth.
Ingredients You’ll Need
What I love most about macaroons is what a breeze they are to make. For this recipe, you only need a spare half hour and the following ingredients on hand: shredded coconut, eggs, raw honey, salt, lemon zest from a lemon peel, vanilla, butter, and dark chocolate.
*Free printable recipe card is available at the end of the post.
To make the macaroons, separate the eggs and whisk the egg whites, honey and salt together in a mixing bowl until frothy. Then add the lemon zest and vanilla and stir together.
How do you zest a lemon?
If you’ve never made lemon zest before, it is the skin grated from the peel of a lemon.
A lot of the flavor of the lemon is in the peel so scrub the lemon with a vegetable brush and with a microplane, grating only the outer layer of the skin and rotating the lemon for just the zest and not the white pith which can be bitter.
Finally, add the shredded coconut and mix everything together until well combined. Your “dough” is now ready, and all that is left to do is make the cookies.
For each cookie, press the mixture into a tablespoon with your thumb (the honey and egg will hold the shredded coconut together). Place each spoonful onto a baking sheet.
Bake until golden. I removed mine from the oven after about twenty minutes.
Of course, these macaroons would be delicious just as they are. But if my husband John is the biggest coconut fan in the house, I’m definitely the biggest chocolate one.
How do you melt chocolate on the stove?
I knew these cookies would be even more incredible with just a touch of chocolate. While they were cooling on the counter, I broke a bar of dark chocolate into small pieces and melted with a touch of butter.
The best way to do this is in a double boiler over simmering hot water. If you do not have a double boiler, you can melt the chocolate and butter in a small, heavy saucepan over a very low flame to avoid scorching, but make sure to stir constantly. Once the chocolate is melted, remove from the heat and stir until smooth.
I gently placed each one of the cookies on a wire rack over parchment paper. Then I drizzled the chocolate over the edges and tops of cookies. To make those gorgeous chocolatey lines, I let my chocolate drip a little over the edges, allowing excess to land on the wax paper below.
If you’ve never had macaroons before, these are sure to be a treat and prove that the best desserts don’t need to be made with sugar.
Raw honey benefits
The raw honey is a wonderful, healthy substitute. Because it is not commercially processed or chemically refined, it retains its natural enzymes, vitamins, and minerals. More here.
I remember the first time I tasted raw honey. I was at my friend’s house, and she had added a little to her tea and was surprised that I had never had raw honey before.
She told me that I absolutely had to try some and said the only way she could describe its taste was “beautiful.”
Well, I definitely agreed with her. And I also have to affirm that that is exactly how these cookies taste too. Enjoy this beautiful dessert, friends!
More recipes you’ll love
Dark Chocolate Drizzled Strawberries with Homemade Yogurt Transform a healthy bowl of yogurt into a fancy, guilt-free dessert. Yum.
Gluten free Blueberry Muffins Gather your ingredients together, and you’ll be taking these muffins out of the oven in just 25 minutes.
Healthy Coconut and Almond Dark Chocolate Bars These beautiful bars are sheer happiness in your mouth
Flourless Chocolate Cake With Video With the creamy chocolate filling complemented by a thin layer of cool silky ganache on top, this flourless chocolate cake is every chocolate lover’s dream.
Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies – These buttery soft gluten free chocolate chip cookies are intensely rich with flavor, sweetened with honey, and filled with decadent chocolate chips.
Gluten Free Chocolate Cream Pie with MI-DEL’s Graham Style Pie Crust – This is one of my most popular recipes. It’s every chocolate lover’s dream pie. And it’s so easy to make.
Love this recipe? Pin it!
Dark Chocolate Drizzled Coconut Macaroons (Easy And Healthy)
- Preheat oven to 325 ℉. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk egg whites, honey and salt together in a mixing bowl until frothy. Add lemon zest and vanilla and stir.
- Finally, add coconut and stir until well combined.
- For each cookie, press mixture into a tablespoon with your thumb (the honey and egg will hold the shredded coconut together). Place each spoonful onto the baking sheet. Bake until golden, about 20 minutes.
- While the cookies cool, break up chocolate into small pieces and melt with the butter. The best way to do this is in a double boiler over simmering hot water. If you do not have a double boiler you may melt the chocolate and butter in a small heavy saucepan over a very low flame to avoid scorching, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat and stir until smooth. Place cookies on a wire rack over parchment paper. Drizzle chocolate from a spoon over the edges and tops of cookies going beyond each cookie is o.k. allowing excess to land on the wax paper below.Serve and enjoy.
- How to zest a lemon
- Gluten Free Baked Ziti Recipe - November 17, 2022
- Dr. Ted Naiman’s P:E Potatoes Au Gratin - August 5, 2022
- Frozen Strawberry Protein Pops - July 28, 2022
- High-Protein Smoothie With Strawberries - July 15, 2022
- Chicken And Broccoli In Gluten Free Stir Fry Sauce - March 25, 2022