This pan-seared keto low-carb salmon is quick and tasty with a delicious creamy white wine sauce!
Whether you’re going keto, low-carb, or are just trying to eat healthier, salmon should be a central part of your diet. Salmon is obviously low in carbs and high in protein and packed with healthy fat. It’s especially high in omega-3 fatty acids. You know how good they are for you.
But the best thing about salmon is that it tastes so good. Ok, I might be biased because I love salmon. A big family joke is that when we go out to eat, mom doesn’t need a menu because she always gets the salmon.
This recipe takes salmon to another level because, first, it’s pan-seared. Pan-searing takes just five to seven minutes and results in a beautifully cooked salmon that’s crispy on the outside and deliciously tender and juicy on the inside.
It’s an excellent way to get non-fish lovers to enjoy salmon. Just ask John. He wouldn’t go near salmon until I pan-seared it. What is it with men and seared food?
Finally, I’ve created a creamy white wine and caper sauce to pour over the fish. Come on, who doesn’t like a bit of French culinary influence on their food?
How to make Keto Low-Carb Salmon With White Wine Sauce
I generally recommend buying wild caught fish because of the many problems associated with farmed fish. But I know fresh wild salmon can be a little pricey. For this recipe, I used frozen wild caught Alaska sockeye salmon from Trader Joe’s. It’s reasonably priced and tasty. If you use frozen fish, make sure it’s thawed according to the directions before cooking.
When you’re ready to prepare your salmon, pat it dry with paper towels so that it won’t stick to the pan.
Heat oil and butter in a skillet over a medium-high heat. As always, I recommend using an oil with a high smoke point, like avocado oil, when searing.
Press down on the fish with a spatula as soon as it hits the pan to keep the skin flat so that the skin cooks evenly. Season with salt and garlic powder. After 3 minutes, flip the salmon over and cook for another 2 minutes. If you would like to remove the skin, the seared skin will easily peel off with the spatula.
Then transfer your salmon to a plate and set aside. Next, wipe your pan clean and make your sauce in the same pan as follows.
First, bring your wine (I used a dry Pinot Grigio) to a simmer and reduce by half the volume. This will take about five minutes. Then add crushed garlic, salt, pepper, and lemon juice. Next, whisk in cream and add the cold butter, one tablespoon at a time. As soon as all the butter is whisked in, stir in your capers and turn off the flame.
The recipe usually makes slightly more sauce than you’ll need. One or two tablespoons of sauce on each fillet is probably enough. But I won’t judge you if you smother your salmon in this creamy, delectable white wine sauce. 😉 It makes the salmon absolutely mouth-watering.
Just pour the warm sauce over the salmon and savor every bite.
There’s lots to love about this recipe. It’s a quick and easy Keto meal that’s healthy and delicious. And cleanup is a breeze with only one pan to wash.
Have a happy and healthy week!
The keto diet is hot! Read all about our keto journey here.
P.S. If you make this, share your snap on Instagram and tag #glutenfreehomestead. I always love seeing your photos.
Pin keto low-carb salmon for later!
Keto Low-Carb Salmon With White Wine Sauce
- 1 pound Wild Salmon fillets
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 2 tablespoons of avocado oil
- salt to taste
- garlic powder to taste
- For sauce:
- 1 1/2 cups of white wine
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon of white pepper
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 cup of heavy whipping cream
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- 1 tablespoon of capers
- First dry your salmon with paper towels so that it won't stick to the pan.
- Heat oil and butter in a skillet over a medium-high heat.
- When butter and oil start to sizzle, add salmon, skin side down. Press with your spatula so that the skin will cook evenly. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Then flip and sear the top for 2 minutes more. If your salmon is thick, it may need another minute.
- Transfer salmon to a plate and set aside.
- For sauce:
- Wipe the pan clean and make your sauce in the same pan.
- First bring your wine to a simmer and reduce by half the volume. This will take about five minutes. Then add garlic, salt, pepper, and lemon juice.
- Whisk in cream and add the cold butter, one tablespoon at a time. As soon as all the butter is whisked in, stir in your capers and turn off the flame.
- Pour over your salmon and serve.
- How To Cook Tomahawk Rib Eye Steak - October 3, 2018
- Keto Chicken Piccata - August 3, 2018
- Keto Low-Carb Salmon With White Wine Sauce - June 12, 2018
- Low Carb Meatloaf With A Delicious Twist - April 10, 2018
- Our Keto Journey Part 2: Getting Rid Of Stubborn Pounds And Guarding Against Alzheimer’s - March 24, 2018