Our friends from Poland shared this Surówka recipe with us. Pronounced suˈrufka, it is a sauerkraut, carrot, apple and onion salad. They said that it’s delicious with fish. I was planning to serve pork tenderloin tonight, however, and just couldn’t wait to try it. Yum.
If you do serve your Surówka with fish, our friends said to add the juice of two fresh lemons. Also, I substituted the tablespoon of sugar with Stevia.
Fermented sauerkraut is so healthy. It’s easy to make your own. For store bought, I recommend Bubbies Of San Francisco Sauerkraut. It has live cultures, and no sugar, vinegar or preservatives. Just great taste.
Love this recipe? Pin it!
Gluten Free Surówka
- 1 pound Bubbies Sauerkraut
- 1 organic carrot shredded
- 1 organic apple chopped (I had delicious apples available, you can also use gala apples)
- 1/2 organic onion minced
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1-2 g Stevia
- salt to taste
- dash of pepper
- Strain liquid from the sauerkraut.
- Add carrot, apple, onion, and parsley. Stir in olive oil and sprinkle with Stevia, salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly.
- Ten minutes prep time + refrigerate for thirty minutes.