Surówka is a Polish sauerkraut, carrot and apple salad that’s healthy and delicious. Enjoy!
Our friends from Poland shared their Surówka recipe with us. Pronounced suˈrufka, it’s a sauerkraut, carrot, apple and onion salad. Especially, they said, that it’s delicious with fish.
However, I was planning to serve pork tenderloin tonight and just couldn’t wait to try it. And boy, it’s yummy. I had to share it with you.
• a carrot
• an apple
• half of an onion
• extra-virgin olive oil
• salt and pepper
*Free printable recipe card is available at the end of the post.
- If you do serve your surówka with fish, our friends said to add the juice of two fresh lemons.
- Also, I substituted their recommended tablespoon of sugar with Stevia.
- Fermented sauerkraut is so healthy. And it’s easy to make your own. For store bought, I recommend Bubbies Of San Francisco Sauerkraut. It has live cultures, and no sugar, vinegar or preservatives. Just great taste.
- I had delicious apples on hand when I made this recipe. A tart Granny Smith, Honeycrisp, or Macintosh apple would stand up well to the flavor of the sauerkraut.
Tasty surówka is an easy, healthy, raw side dish that’s delicious with dinner. But I also can picture serving it at a summer party picnic or barbecue.
Recipes to serve with surówka
Salomon Cakes: These are a fun way to enjoy salmon for lunch or dinner.
10 Minute Wild Shrimp With Paleo Coconut Sauce: Wild shrimp in a sauce with pepper and pungent paprika gives this dish a lovely, subtly spicy taste.
15 Minute Wild Cod Piccata: a delicious light fish dinner with a healthy lemon sauce.
Love this recipe? Pin it!
Gluten Free Surówka
- 1 pound Sauerkraut
- 1 carrot shredded
- 1 apple chopped
- 1/2 onion minced
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1-2 g Stevia
- salt to taste
- dash of pepper
- Strain liquid from the sauerkraut.
- Add carrot, apple, onion, and parsley to your sauerkraut in a large bowl. Stir in olive oil and sprinkle with Stevia, salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly.
- Your surówka only takes ten minutes of prep time. Then refrigerate it for thirty minutes.
- If you do serve your surówka with fish, add the juice of two fresh lemons.
- In this recipe, I substituted the recommended tablespoon of sugar with Stevia. It's up to you if you prefer sugar.
- Fermented sauerkraut is so healthy. And it's easy to make your own. For store bought, I recommend Bubbies Of San Francisco Sauerkraut. It has live cultures, and no sugar, vinegar or preservatives. Just great taste.
- I had delicious apples on hand when I made this recipe. Any tart apple like Granny Smith, Honeycrisp, or Macintosh would stand up well to the flavor of the sauerkraut.
- Spaghetti Squash Carbonara (No Egg) - October 21, 2020
- Easy Creamy Broccoli Cheddar Soup - October 17, 2020
- Philly Cheesesteak Lettuce Wraps - September 25, 2020
- Sloppy Joe Stuffed Peppers - September 24, 2020
- 10-Minute Cucumber Bites (With Three Amazing Toppings) - September 5, 2020