These oven baked curly cheese fries are a wonderfully healthy potato snack.
Who else is excited for Super Bowl Sunday? After all, we all know one of the best things about football parties. The food, of course! 😉 Today, I have a perfect party food for you that’s sure to be a hit on game day: oven baked curly cheese fries.
These aren’t ordinary cheese “fries”. They’re mixed with a hint of garlic, baked in the oven so no frying is required, and topped with aged cheddar cheese and fresh scallions. What a fun and healthy treat!
How to make oven baked curly cheese fries
*Free printable recipe card is available at the end of the post.
To make the fries, first preheat the oven to 400 ℉. Next, prepare a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
For slicing the potatoes, I used my 4-blade spiralizer from Paderno World Cuisine. If you don’t have a spiralizer, you can also slice them by hand with a julienne peeler.
If you are using a spiralizer like the Paderno, make sure to buy fat potatoes that are relatively straight. Peel them and trim the end of each potato flat in order to secure a firm hold onto the sharp prongs. Make sure to keep the potato centered in the unit. This will turn out wonderfully long spirals each time.
I sliced the potatoes using the blade with the large triangles. Then I snipped the slices into smaller 12-inch long strands. These strands will curl up, but any longer than that will be harder to eat.
Aren’t they pretty? Just asking to be seasoned and baked to crispy perfection.
Transfer the curly potato strands to a large bowl. Mix oil, garlic and salt together in a small bowl and pour the oil mixture over the potatoes. Toss to coat.
Place potatoes on your parchment lined baking pan and bake for about 15 minutes. Spread them out so they’ll cook evenly. Then turn the potatoes over with a spatula and bake for 10 minutes more.
Sprinkle with shredded cheese and bake for two more minutes until the cheese melts. I used an aged cheddar. Aged cheeses are supposed to have a lower lactose content than lesser aged varieties.
Voila! Wonderfully curly cheesy fries. No deep frying necessary. Make sure to save some for yourself as these will probably be wolfed down in minutes.
Serve while cheering for your favorite team. Congrats to all of you Panthers and Broncos fans! May the best team win! 🙂
P.S. If you make this recipe, share your snap on Instagram and tag #glutenfreehomestead. I always love seeing your photos.
Love this recipe? Pin it!
Oven Baked Curly Cheese Fries
- 2 potatoes peeled
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup aged cheddar cheese grated
- scallions chopped
- Cut potatoes into curly strands using a spiralizer.Then snip or break them with your fingers into about 12 inch long strands. Place them in a bowl.
- Mix oil, garlic and salt together in a small bowl and pour mixture over the potatoes. Toss to coat.
- Place potatoes on your parchment lined baking pan and bake for about 15 minutes. Then turn the potatoes over with a spatula and bake for 10 minutes more.
- Sprinkle with shredded cheese and bake for 2 more minutes until the cheese melts.
- Garnish with chopped scallions and serve with dip.
- Low-Carb Meatballs In Smoked Paprika Sauce - April 1, 2019
- How My Morning Routine Gives Me a Healthy Start to the Day - March 25, 2019
- Tastiest Low-Carb Keto Stuffed Cabbage - February 28, 2019
- Chicken And Peppers: Olive Oil And Garlic Style - January 2, 2019
- How To Cook Tomahawk Rib Eye Steak - October 3, 2018