Tonight, my husband and I decided to create a new dish. Inspired by Jambalaya, we originated our very own Italian version. Cooking together turned the daily task of cooking for the family into a relaxing and romantic experience. I poured two glasses of wine, he put on some soft music and we had an impromptu dance together while the shrimp simmered. The secret ingredient was amore.
We used Risotto which is a creamy Italian rice. It takes patience and lots of stirring, but once you start cooking, it doesn’t take more than 20 minutes to make.
We hope you enjoy Gluten Free Shrimp and Risotto Italiano.
Gluten Free Shrimp and Risotto Italiano
- Prepare Sweet Italian Sausage
- Bring pot of water to a boil. Add Sweet Italian Sausage and boil for 20 minutes. Then brown on a griddle, cut into bite-size pieces and set aside.
- Prepare Shrimp
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tblsp. olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute diced onion about 2 minutes lest it burn and become bitter. Add shrimp and cook uncovered , for 4 minutes and turn over and cook another 4 minutes. The shrimp will be pink. Remove shrimp with a slotted spoon and keep warm.
- Prepare Risotto
- Heat 1 tblsp. olive oil to the skillet. Add Risotto and stir until evenly coated with the olive oil. Continue stirring the rice until the edges have turned translucent but the center is still opaque about 2 minutes. You should be able to smell the aroma of toasted rice.
- Add 1/2 of the broth, stir continually. Maintain a slow boil and add 1/2 cup of broth at a time; stirring and adding broth as the rice absorbs it, until the rice barely reaches the al dente stage about 20 minutes
- Tip: Wait to add more broth until the liquid has been almost completely absorbed by the rice. This gradual addition of broth is key to getting the rice to release its starch and create its own delicious sauce, so don't rush. Ideally, you want to use just enough broth to cook the rice and no more (if you want your risotto firm, time your additions of broth so that the rice will finish absorbing the broth when it reaches this stage; if you want it softer, time the additions so there will still be some liquid left).
- When the broth is absorbed season with black pepper.
- Toss shrimp and sweet Italian sausage with Risotto. Serve immediately. The longer Risotto stands, the more the starches will set and you'll lose the creamy silkiness. Buon appetito
- How To Cook Tomahawk Rib Eye Steak - October 3, 2018
- Keto Chicken Piccata - August 3, 2018
- Keto Low-Carb Salmon With White Wine Sauce - June 12, 2018
- Low Carb Meatloaf With A Delicious Twist - April 10, 2018
- Our Keto Journey Part 2: Getting Rid Of Stubborn Pounds And Guarding Against Alzheimer’s - March 24, 2018