Beurre blanc is a French warm butter sauce that’s perfect with scallops or any type of fish. You will love how it compliments the mild seafood flavor of the fluffy, seared scallops.
Pan-seared scallops with beurre blanc sauce is an excellent choice when you want to prepare a special, scrumptious, low-carb meal. Since I’ve been following a low carb diet, I’ve found that low carb, gluten free meals can still be delicious and exciting. Yay!
Beurre blanc is a French warm butter sauce that’s perfect with scallops or any type of fish. I love how it compliments the mild seafood flavor of the fluffy, seared scallops.
With very little effort, this recipe delivers a delightful meal. And you can impress your friends and family by making a classic French dish.
Choose Dry Scallops
Here’s a tip when choosing your scallops. Look for “dry” sea scallops, not “soaked” scallops. “Soaked” scallops have been treated in a bath of water and chemical preservatives. When you try to sear them, the water will be released, and they’ll be difficult to brown. They can also be tough to eat.
To begin your preparation for cooking, remove the side muscle from each scallop if it’s still attached. You want to remove the side muscle because it can be tough to eat too.
Next, pat the scallops dry with paper towels, and season with salt and white pepper. Then set them aside while you make your sauce.
For the sweet velvety sauce, we’ll be whisking slices of cold butter into a reduction of shallots, wine, and fresh squeezed orange juice. Isn’t that lovely? Just wait until you taste it.
Finally, heat oil in a skillet over a medium-high heat. As always, I recommend using an oil with a high smoke point, like avocado oil, when searing. Add the scallops to the skillet and cook for 3 minutes on each side until golden brown. The sides of the scallops should be firm and the centers opaque and cooked through.
I serve these scallops over seasoned cauliflower rice which is a healthy low carb alternative to regular rice. It will make your scallops look especially beautiful when plated. Recipe here. Then pour warm sauce over the scallops and savor every bite.
If you want a meal that is special, but at the same time low stress and low carb, pan seared scallops with beurre blanc sauce is for you.
And if you make these pan-seared scallops with beurre blanc sauce, share your snap on Instagram and tag #glutenfreehomestead. I always love seeing your photos.
Have a happy, healthy day.
Love this recipe? Pin it!
Pan-Seared Scallops with Beurre Blanc Sauce
- 16 dry sea scallops about 1 1/2 pounds, side muscle tag removed
- salt to taste
- white pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons of avocado oil divided for pan searing the scallops
- 2 teaspoons of avocado oil for beurre blanc sauce
- 1 tablespoon shallots minced
- 1/3 cup orange juice fresh squeezed
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 6 tablespoons cold butter
- Pat scallops dry with paper towels, and season with salt and white pepper. Set them aside while you make your sauce.
- Heat 2 teaspoons of the oil in a small saucepan over a medium-high heat. Add shallots and cook for about 3 minutes. Then add orange juice and wine and cook for another 7 minutes until reduced to about a ¼ cup.
- Now turn the flame down to low. Whisk in the cold butter, one tablespoon at a time. Whisk continuously and vigorously.
- As soon as all the butter is whisked in, turn off the flame. Set aside and keep warm.
- In a separate skillet, heat a tablespoon of oil over a medium-high heat until it is hot but not smoking.
- Add half of the scallops to the skillet and cook, for 3 minutes on each side until golden brown and the sides of the scallops are firm and the centers are opaque and cooked through.Then remove from the skillet, Wipe the pan and add another tablespoon of oil and repeat with the remaining scallops. Then remove from the skillet, spoon the warm sauce on top and savor every bite.
- How To Cook Tomahawk Rib Eye Steak - October 3, 2018
- Keto Chicken Piccata - August 3, 2018
- Keto Low-Carb Salmon With White Wine Sauce - June 12, 2018
- Low Carb Meatloaf With A Delicious Twist - April 10, 2018
- Our Keto Journey Part 2: Getting Rid Of Stubborn Pounds And Guarding Against Alzheimer’s - March 24, 2018