Today, we’ve cooked up something extra special in our gluten-free kitchen. Nicole has been craving fried rice these past several days, so we decided to make a version of this recipe with a healthy twist. This cauliflower dish tastes just like fried rice except that it isn’t stir-fried and doesn’t contain rice. It’s just 100% amazingly delicious and nutritious.
When we first heard that cauliflower makes a fantastic substitute for rice, we were a bit skeptical. But after tasting that first spoonful, we both agreed that cauliflower rice is now one of our new favorite foods.
Since rice is one of the few safe grains on the gluten-free diet, we tend to serve it up a lot as a side dish at dinner. Unfortunately, however, white rice does not contain many nutrients and is rather high in starchy carbs. Cauliflower, on the other hand, is considered a superfood as it is rich in nutrients, vitamins (especially Vitamin C), minerals, and antioxidants. It is said to help prevent cancer and boost heart health and brain health. More here. If you’re following a paleo diet where rice is off-limits, cauliflower is the perfect replacement (and a much healthier choice too).
Nicole suggested adding bacon to enhance the flavors of the dish. We love using Applegate No Nitrate bacon and cooked up several strips in a skillet, then reserved it for later in the recipe. However, the bacon grease immediately went to work as we used it for sautéing the onion, garlic and scallions. This took just three minutes. Next, we added the chopped cauliflower and stirred until the ingredients were combined. We covered the pot and cooked on medium heat for about eight more minutes until the cauliflower was tender. Finally, we chopped up the reserved strips of bacon and tossed them into the rice.
And voila! It is ready to serve, warm from the stove and seasoned with a little salt and pepper to taste. This cauliflower rice is so quick and easy to make: just ten minutes to prepare and fifteen minutes to cook. And if you are feeling creative, the possibilities are endless. You could toss in cooked chicken or shrimp or mixed vegetables.
Have you ever had cauliflower rice before? What ingredients would you add? Enjoy!
Want to save this recipe? Pin it!
Seasoned Cauliflower Rice with Bacon
- 3/4 pound cauliflower florets
- 8 ounces Applegate no nitrate bacon
- 1/2 cup onion minced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 4 scallions chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pulse a few florets at a time in your food processor until the cauliflower pieces are the size of rice. Transfer to a dish and set aside.
- Mince the onion and the garlic and chop up the scallions.
- Cook bacon in a skillet and transfer to paper towels on a plate.
- Sauté onion, garlic and scallions in the bacon grease (3-4 tablespoons), about 3 minutes. Then add cauliflower rice and stir until combined.
- Cover and cook on medium heat for about 8 more minutes until cauliflower is tender.
- Finally, chop cooled bacon and toss with mixture. Season with salt and pepper to taste.