Our family is crazy for gravy. We must be careful, though, because gravy is not always gluten free. It is often thickened with flour containing wheat. Whenever we dine out, we ask the server about how the gravy is prepared.
Today, I am sharing some tips on how to make velvety smooth gluten free gravy at home. In addition, I’ve selected three recipes for you to try.
Tips for making velvety smooth gluten free gravy at home:
If you have cooked a roast, pour the drippings into a measuring cup. The fat will separate to the top. Spoon off the fat.
Next whisk together 2 tblsps of gluten free all purpose flour or corn starch plus 2 tblsp of the drippings in a pan until the mixture is thick and smooth. (If you do not have drippings, you may use butter.) Continue to stir and slowly brown the flour over a low heat for 5 minutes.
Then add 1 cup of stock (I’ve used Herb Ox bouillon) or milk or cream. Whisk and simmer so that the gravy stays smooth while it thickens.
Season with herbs, salt and pepper to taste.
Sometimes homemade gravy is not the color you want it to be. I add 1 tsp. of Gravy Master to boost the color and flavor. Don’t worry, it’s gluten free.
Here are some more gluten free gravy recipes:
This is a delicious mushroom gravy. You will want to pour it on beef, chicken, potatoes, etc. The wine makes it a winner, and your family won’t believe it’s gluten free.
- Melt butter in medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms; cook and stir 5 minutes. Remove and reserve. Add broth, wine, flour, salt and pepper to pan. Stir until flour is dissolved. Continue stirring, bring to a boil, then simmer until thickened, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in reserved mushrooms. Pour into gravy boat, ready to serve.
You will be delighted with the taste of this salsa. It’s gluten free and so quick to prepare.
- Combine all the ingredients. Heat over low flame and serve.
When I was a young girl, my good friend was Italian. She often invited me to come with her to her grandmother’s house on Sunday. There were always large homemade meatballs, pork chops, sausage, pasta etc.. There was always joking and laughter as her aunts, uncles, and cousins gathered together. They treated me like family, and I’ll never forget their warm smiles. This is the sauce, which they called red gravy, that her grandma would make. It’s a marinara sauce that is simmered with lots of fried meat.
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped (optional)
- 2 carrots, finely chopped (optional)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 (28-ounce) cans gluten free tomato puree
- 1 (6- ounce) gluten free tomato paste
- red wine
- 1 dried bay leaf
- oregano,to taste
- parmigiana cheese to taste (optional)
- gluten free meatballs, fried recipe here
- pork chops, browned
- Premio gluten free Italian Sweet sausage, boiled for 20 minutes and browned
- In a large casserole pot, heat the oil over a medium flame. Add the onions and garlic, celery and carrots (optional) and saute until the onions are translucent, about 10 minutes. Turn flame down to a simmer and slowly add the tomato puree, tomato paste, bay leaf, salt and oregano to taste. Then add a splash of red wine. Add meats. Stir now and then and simmer covered over low heat until the sauce thickens, about 3 hours.
Maxwell’s Kitchen Gravy Mix
Finally, for an excellent instant mix, I use Maxwell’s Kitchen gluten free gravy packets. The directions on the packet say: 1. In a sauce pan, whisk gravy mix (35 g) and 10 oz. cool water until smooth. 2. Stirring constantly, bring to boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, 3 minutes.
How easy is that?
So go forth and enjoy these delicious gluten free gravy recipes. Leave me a comment letting me know which one is your favorite.
- Keto Chicken Piccata - August 3, 2018
- Keto Low-Carb Salmon With White Wine Sauce - June 12, 2018
- Low Carb Meatloaf With A Delicious Twist - April 10, 2018
- Our Keto Journey Part 2: Getting Rid Of Stubborn Pounds And Guarding Against Alzheimer’s - March 24, 2018
- Low-Carb Meatball Parmesan For A Quick Easy Dinner - February 23, 2018