I have modified this traditional British dish so the whole family can enjoy it. Gluten free cottage pie is a classic fare of savory ground beef topped with mashed potatoes. I make homemade mashed potatoes, but if you want to save time Betty Crocker Potato Buds are gluten free and ready in 5 minutes.
Serve hot from the oven and watch your gluten free cottage pie disappear.
Gluten Free Cottage Pie
- 4 medium potatoes peeled and quartered
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tblsp. butter divided
- 2 tsp. salt divided
- dash of pepper
- 2 tblsp. olive oil
- 1 onion minced
- 1 carrot minced
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 tblsp. Bob's Red Mill All Purpose Gluten Free Baking Flour
- 1 cup gluten free beef stock I use Herb Ox bouillon
- 1 tsp. thyme
- dash of nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 400℉.
- Boil potatoes for 15 minutes. Drain and mash potatoes with a potato masher. Add water, 1 tblsp. butter, 1 tsp. of salt and a dash of pepper. Whip with a spoon until fluffy and set aside.
- Heat oil in a skillet. Add onion and carrot and cook on low heat for 15 minutes. Add ground beef and stir over a medium heat, breaking up meat with a spatula for 5 more minutes. Drain beef mixture. Then add flour for 2 more minutes. Pour in bouillon, thyme, 1 tsp. salt, and nutmeg. Simmer until thickened for 5 minutes. Spoon into a 9-inch pie plate. Spread the mashed potatoes over the top. Scatter the remaining 2 tblsp. of butter around the potatoes. Bake for 30 minutes.