I hope you’re having a great summer! This past week it actually cooled down to 65 degrees one evening here in New York. That’s when I made this low-carb cottage pie with cauliflower mash. It’s a delicious comfort food for those days when you just want to curl up on the couch and watch a good movie with your family.
Cottage pie has always been a favorite dinner here in my house. But, since John and I have started following a low-carb diet, I decided to try a low-carb version of this recipe, replacing the usual mashed potato topping with cauliflower. The result? Absolutely mouthwatering.
And did you know that cauliflower is considered a superfood? It’s rich in nutrients, vitamins (especially Vitamin C), minerals, and antioxidants. It’s said to help prevent cancer and boost heart health and brain health.
You can make cauliflower mash taste just like mashed potatoes that traditionally top cottage pie. Promise. I think you’re going to love this low-carb version.⠀⠀
I also switched out the Worcester sauce found in most cottage pie recipes for Red Boat. All of Red Boat’s products are gluten-free. They don’t contain wheat or wheat by-products and are produced in a gluten free facility. The sauce ingredients are quite simple: just anchovies and sea salt.
Ready to cook up some healthy low-carb cottage pie? Here we go.
First, steam your cauliflower florets until tender, about 10 minutes. Then purée the cauliflower in your food processor, adding the half-and-half, butter, salt, and pepper. If you want your cauliflower more creamy, add more half-and-half.
Now for the meat. Heat a little extra-virgin olive oil in a large skillet. Add onion and carrot and cook on a low heat for 10 minutes. If you’re following a low-carb way of eating, you can eliminate the carrots. Then, add garlic and cook for another minute. Next, add the ground meat and stir over medium heat, breaking up the meat with a spatula while it browns for 5 more minutes. Drain the beef mixture.
Finally, you’re ready to make the gravy. For the base, you will need gluten-free beef stock. You can use store-bought gluten-free stock or make yours homemade. Pour the stock into the skillet over the beef mixture and add the Red Boat sauce, tomato paste, salt, and nutmeg. Simmer for 5 minutes until slightly thickened. Then, transfer the meat with its gravy to a casserole dish. Top with your cauliflower mash. Dot the cauliflower with two tablespoons of butter. Bake for 40-50 minutes until golden. Garnish with chopped fresh parsley and serve.
Doesn’t that look yummy? I can’t wait for you to taste it. The bonus is that you’ll probably have more than enough for dinner. So pack up the leftovers and you’ll have a healthy, low-carb lunch for the next day all set and ready to take to work.
And if you make this low-carb cottage pie with cauliflower mash, share your snap on Instagram and tag #glutenfreehomestead. I always love seeing your photos.
Pin this recipe to save!
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 teaspoons salt, divided
- dash of pepper
- ¼ cup of half and half
- 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 carrot, diced (optional)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 pounds of ground beef
- 1 tablespoon
gluten freetomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Red Boat
- 1 cup
gluten freebeef stock or homemade bone broth
- dash of nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 400℉.
- First steam cauliflower florets until tender, about 10 minutes. Then drain and place in the bowl of your food processor fitted with the large chopping blade. Add half and half, 2 tablespoons of butter, 2 teaspoons of salt and a dash of pepper. Process until fluffy and set aside.
- Next to brown the meat, heat oil in a large skillet. Then add onion and carrot (optional) and cook on low heat for 10 minutes. Then add garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Finally, add ground beef and stir over a medium heat, breaking up meat with a spatula for 5 more minutes. Drain meat mixture.
- For the delicious gravy, pour in your stock, Red boat, and add tomato paste, 1 teaspoon of salt, and nutmeg. Stir. Simmer until slightly thickened for 5 minutes.
- At this time, spoon meat mixture with the gravy into a 2-quart casserole dish. Spoon the cauliflower mash around the top. Dot the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter around the cauliflower. Finally, bake for 40-50 minutes. Ovens may vary so check after 40 minutes and bake until the casserole is done to your liking.
- Keto Chicken Piccata - August 3, 2018
- Keto Low-Carb Salmon With White Wine Sauce - June 12, 2018
- Low Carb Meatloaf With A Delicious Twist - April 10, 2018
- Our Keto Journey Part 2: Getting Rid Of Stubborn Pounds And Guarding Against Alzheimer’s - March 24, 2018
- Low-Carb Meatball Parmesan For A Quick Easy Dinner - February 23, 2018