My British mother-in-law used to make the most delicious meat pie — tender beef in brown gravy topped with a flaky golden crust. She once gave me the recipe, but somehow over the years it was misplaced. So today I wondered if I could recreate the meat pie from memory, this time with a gluten free twist.
I decided to try Pillsbury’s new gluten free pie and pastry dough for the crust. It was very easy to work with and definitely earned a thumbs up for taste and flakiness. I seared the beef in small batches in the dutch oven before slowly simmering in seasoned broth on the stove.
My efforts were well rewarded with a rich, flavorful pie. The combination of Worcestershire sauce and thyme gave it a slightly more fragrant taste than the one my mother-in-law used to make.
The warm savory gravy, hearty beef, and flaky crust definitely make this one of the most delicious comfort foods.
Meat Pie with Pillsbury's Gluten Free Pie Dough
- 2 pounds beef cubed
- 1/2 cup Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion minced
- 1 small carrot diced
- 2 cups gluten free chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free Worcestershire sauce I use Lee & Perrins
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- Pillsbury gluten-free dough
- Toss meat in flour. Then heat dutch oven.
- Sear the beef in batches for about 5 minutes on one side before turning over. This is done on a medium to low flame and will form a sticky glaze on the bottom of the pan. Brown on the other sides.
- Remove meat and set aside.
- Next heat oil in the same pan over a medium heat scraping up the brown bits, add onion and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Return beef to the pot. Add broth, carrots, garlic, tomato paste, tomato sauce, worcestshire sauce, and thyme. Stir. Cover and simmer for one hour. Stir often.
- About 20 minutes before meat is done simmering, preheat oven to 425℉.
- Knead half of the dough until softened and no longer crumbly. Flatten into a round. Place between 2 sheets of parchment or waxed paper. Roll into a round the size of your casserole dish. Carefully peel off top sheet of paper. Replace paper to cover loosely. Carefully turn dough over to remove second sheet of paper. Use paper to carefully turn dough into the casserole and up the sides. Remove paper. Press crust to edge of casserole. Pre-bake bottom crust for 10 minutes. Then using a slotted spoon transfer meat filling into pie crust. Reserve gravy for later to serve with pie as desired.
- Repeat with remaining dough, placing second dough on top. Trim and crimp edges together. Make slits to allow steam to escape.
- Bake for 25 minutes until golden. Cover edge of crust with strips of foil after 15 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
- How To Cook Tomahawk Rib Eye Steak - October 3, 2018
- Keto Chicken Piccata - August 3, 2018
- Keto Low-Carb Salmon With White Wine Sauce - June 12, 2018
- Low Carb Meatloaf With A Delicious Twist - April 10, 2018
- Our Keto Journey Part 2: Getting Rid Of Stubborn Pounds And Guarding Against Alzheimer’s - March 24, 2018