It’s time to up my kale game. Today I’m lightly sautéing my fresh-picked kale in butter, oil and garlic. Then comes a splash of balsamic vinegar and a sprinkling of crunchy bacon. This is now John’s favorite kale recipe. No wonder — I’ve topped it with crispy bacon!
I could go on and on about how healthy kale is. It’s an excellent source of A, C and K vitamins, calcium, fiber and antioxidants. If you’ve been on the fence about joining the kale craze, this recipe might convince you. Not only is it super healthy, it delivers with the freshest flavor and tastiest crunch of bacon.
I grow sweet red Russian kale in my garden, but have tried several varieties available at the store and farmer’s market. Sweet delicate Lacianto kale, peppery curly green kale, or rich red curly kale would all work in this side dish depending on your taste preferences. The red Russian kale was absolutely delicious, and I savored every crunchy forkful.
Kale can tend to be a bit bitter in flavor, but this bitterness is tamed by washing it well and how you cook it. Are you ready? I’ve got Peter, my photographer, with me to take you through each easy step.
First, pick your kale (either from your garden or from the store). Wash the leaves, tear them from the stems, wash again, and set aside.
Next, cook your bacon until crispy. Drain on paper towels and chop into bacon bits. Put the bacon bits aside for a crunchy topping later on.
Smash the garlic either with a garlic press or with the flat side of a knife. Add the garlic to a large skillet with the oil and butter.
Heat until fragrant while the butter melts.
Add the kale and toss.
Cover and cook for about 1 minute.
Remove the top, stir the kale around one more time, and transfer to a serving dish.
Now for a pop of flavor, add a splash of balmy balsamic vinegar and sprinkle with the crispy bacon bits. Mmm.
This is the perfect side dish as sautéed kale tossed with bacon goes with everything! And I can’t get over how tasty this superfood is. Enjoy, friends!
- Cook your bacon until crispy. Drain on paper towels.
- Smash your garlic and add with oil and butter to a large skillet. Heat until fragrant while butter melts.
- Add kale and toss. Cover and cook for about 1 minute. Uncover, stir around and transfer to a serving dish.
- Add a splash of balsamic vinegar.
- Chop bacon for crunchy topping and toss with kale.
- Keto Low-Carb Salmon With White Wine Sauce - June 12, 2018
- Low Carb Meatloaf With A Delicious Twist - April 10, 2018
- Our Keto Journey Part 2: Getting Rid Of Stubborn Pounds And Guarding Against Alzheimer’s - March 24, 2018
- Low-Carb Meatball Parmesan For A Quick Easy Dinner - February 23, 2018
- Bursting With Flavor: 50 Low-Carb And Gluten-Free Recipes Designed To Delight Your Tastebuds - January 25, 2018