Thanksgiving wouldn’t be Thanksgiving without the turkey…or the leftovers! Really, no matter how many family members and friends crowd around the table or how much we eat, I’ve never been to a Thanksgiving feast where there weren’t lots of leftovers for the next day (or even the whole week!).
But you can only eat so many turkey sandwiches. 😉 Here’s a healthier and more fun way to enjoy those Turkey Day leftovers: a beautiful turkey kale salad with roasted sweet potatoes and carrots. Topped with a light vinaigrette and bursting with fall colors, this makes an absolutely lovely lunch or a side salad for dinner.
The main star of this salad is your Thanksgiving turkey. Next, comes the roasted sweet potatoes. I usually make these rosemary sweet potatoes and mushrooms for Thanksgiving dinner. The leftover sweet potatoes will taste wonderfully in the salad. Next, I’ll add some roasted carrots for another root veggie. Then a few slices of red onion. So pretty on a bed of crispy kale. Read more about the health benefits of kale here.
For the vinaigrette, I whisk together extra virgin olive oil and a sweet balsamic vinegar with a little salt, pepper, and basil. You may have noticed in my other recipes that I use avocado oil and coconut oil when I am cooking at high temperatures. However, I still love to use olive oil when making vinaigrettes. Olive oil is your tastiest choice and very healthy in its natural state.
To be sure that you’re buying a high-quality oil, look for an extra virgin olive oil (EVOO); otherwise, it has been chemically refined. Read here. Also, to make sure the olive oil is fresh, look for the harvest date on the label. It should be within one year. And always buy your oil in a dark glass bottle and store it in a cool, dark cabinet.
This Turkey Kale Salad with Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Carrots is so refreshing, satisfying, and delicious. A healthy way to continue feasting on the Thanksgiving leftovers. 🙂
Enjoy, friends! Have a happy Thanksgiving!
Would you like to save this recipe? Pin it!
Turkey Kale Salad with Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Carrots
- For salad:
- 2 cups turkey cooked and cubed
- 2 sweet potatoes peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups chopped kale
- 2 medium carrots cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- 1/2 red onion sliced
- For dressing:
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar Bionaturaeis certified gluten-free
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon basil
- For salad: Preheat oven to 400℉.
- Toss carrots in a bowl with olive oil, salt and pepper, (If you don't have leftover sweet potatoes you may toss two peeled and cubed sweet potatoes along with the carrots) Then roast on parchment lined baking sheet for 20 minutes.
- Toss kale and onion in a salad bowl. Add turkey, potatoes and carrots.Toss again.
- For dressing: Whisk dressing in a separate bowl. Pour over salad. Toss and serve at room temperature
- Cheesy Cauliflower With Ham Casserole (Low-Carb) - May 21, 2019
- Pork Tenderloin Cordon Bleu - April 25, 2019
- Low-Carb Meatballs In Smoked Paprika Sauce - April 1, 2019
- How My Morning Routine Gives Me a Healthy Start to the Day - March 25, 2019
- Tastiest Low-Carb Keto Stuffed Cabbage - February 28, 2019