It’s casserole time! And today I’m serving it up Tex-Mex style!
This healthy Tex-Mex chicken and rice casserole is a fun and tasty meal for any day of the week. I’m seasoning the rice with an array of spices (basil, chili powder, cumin, and black pepper) before tossing it with chicken, colorful bell peppers, and tomatoes in a casserole dish. Then I pop it in the oven for twenty minutes before serving warm with fresh grated aged cheddar cheese.
But the fun doesn’t have to stop there. This casserole also makes a lovely filling for gluten-free tacos or tortillas and can be piled high with your favorite toppings: guacamole, salsa, sour cream, and even chili peppers if you like a little heat.
There’s something about Tex-Mex dinners that always feel like a party to me. Maybe because these dinners are perfect for serving family style. Doesn’t it feel like a party when you can sit down and enjoy a meal with your entire family and celebrate the little things in life?
Here in New York there’s plenty to celebrate this week as spring seems like it has finally arrived. At last the weather is reaching the 70s. It snowed earlier this month so this is definitely a pleasant change — soon it will be time to start planting the vegetable garden. I can’t wait. What are you celebrating this week?
So let’s get this party started!
First, let’s talk about the rice. I recommend using Lundberg basmati rice. I love Lundberg because of their eco-positive farming methods.
And here’s a special rice cooking tip: Substitute chicken broth for the suggested amount of water on the rice instructions. You’ll love the extra flavor. And stir in sautéed onions and seasonings when the rice is done.
Meanwhile cut up the chicken into bite size pieces and season with salt. Then simmer it in chicken broth for just 10 minutes.
Combine the chicken and rice together in your baking dish. Next stir in diced fresh tomatoes and a combination of freshly chopped red, yellow, and green bell peppers. This adds such a wonderful burst of colors.
Now you’re ready to pop the casserole dish in the oven for just 20 minutes. When it’s ready, sprinkle grated aged cheddar cheese on top.
Now for the most important step: dig in. 😉
I love that there’s so many different ways you can eat this casserole. You can stuff it in corn tacos, roll it up in a gluten-free tortilla, or just toss it in a bowl with the homemade paleo salsa on top. Or maybe even a slice of lime!
What kind of toppings would you add? And remember to let me know what you’re celebrating. 🙂
Enjoy! Have a happy and healthy week, friends!
- 2 cups Lundberg white basmati rice
- 4 cups gluten free chicken broth, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 pounds chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces
- salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVVO)
- ½ cup onion, diced
- 2 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 pound of bell peppers, chopped
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1½ teaspoons chili powder
- ⅛ teaspoon cumin
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup aged cheddar cheese, grated
- Cook rice: Combine rice, 3 cups of the chicken broth and butter in a pot and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat with the lid on and let the rice steam for 10 more minutes. Uncover and fluff with a fork.
- Cook Chicken: While the rice is cooking, heat the remaining 1 cup of the chicken broth in a pot. Season bite size pieces of chicken with salt. Simmer in chicken stock for ten minutes.
- Remove chicken with a slotted spoon to a dish and set aside. (If you have leftover chicken in your fridge, you can skip this step and just cut up your leftover chicken into bite size pieces.)
- Preheat oven to 425℉
- Saute onion: Add oil to a skillet. Sauté onion until tender, about 4-5 minutes.
- Combine: Stir onion into cooked rice.
- Season rice mixture with basil, chili powder, cumin, and pepper. Stir.
- Transfer rice mixture to your baking dish.
- Stir in cooked chicken, bell peppers, and tomatoes.
- Bake: Cover and bake for 20 minutes.
- Top with grated cheddar cheese.
- Serve with
This recipe is shared on Gluten Free Fridays , Foodie Friday, Real Food Friday, Savoring Saturdays, Simply Natural Saturdays and Small Victories
- Keto Chicken Piccata - August 3, 2018
- Keto Low-Carb Salmon With White Wine Sauce - June 12, 2018
- Low Carb Meatloaf With A Delicious Twist - April 10, 2018
- Our Keto Journey Part 2: Getting Rid Of Stubborn Pounds And Guarding Against Alzheimer’s - March 24, 2018
- Low-Carb Meatball Parmesan For A Quick Easy Dinner - February 23, 2018