On Sundays when company comes to visit the homestead, I often make a ham because it goes a long way and is always enjoyed by all. Sometimes there is enough leftovers to make a whole new meal the next day. I cut up the ham the night before and, in no more than 15 minutes, I can prepare gluten free ham tetrazzinni, ready to pop in the oven.
I prefer ham with no added nitrates or nitrites, no artificial ingredients or preservatives. You may find this one at Whole Foods.
This dish is similar to my turkey tetrazzini except I doubled the mushrooms because my husband loves a lot of mushrooms and stirred in hearty cheddar cheese for a wonderful sauce. You may want to try Tinkyada spaghetti this time as I did. I love that it is never mushy and always tastes quite delicious.
Gluten Free Ham Tetrazzini
- 12 oz gluten free Tinkyada spaghetti cook according to package directions
- 1 lb. mushrooms sliced
- 1/4 cup + 3 1/2 tblsp. butter
- 1/2 cup Bob’s Red Mill gluten free all-purpose flour
- 2 cups gluten free chicken broth
- 2 1/2 cups of milk
- 2 tblsp. of sherry
- 3 cups leftover nitrite free ham cut into bite size pieces
- 3 drops of lemon juice
- 3 pinches of nutmeg
- 1 tsp. salt
- dash of pepper
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese
- 1 cup gluten-free panko breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Butter a 3 quart casserole dish.
- Cook the mushrooms in 1 1/2 Tblsp. of the butter over medium heat, stirring, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- In a large, heavy saucepan, melt 1/4 cup of butter. Stir in the flour, and cook the mixture over low heat, whisking constantly for one minute. Remove from the heat.
- Slowly whisk in the broth until smooth.
- Then whisk in the milk and heat on a medium flame, whisking constantly, simmering for one minute. Then stir in the sherry and simmer for one more minute.
- Remove from the heat. Season with lemon juice, nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste. Add the spaghetti, ham, cheddar cheese and mushrooms to the sauce and toss.
- Transfer the entire mixture to the buttered casserole.
- In a separate pan melt 2 tablespoons butter and then mix in 1 cup panko bread crumbs until the butter is thoroughly absorbed. Sprinkle the mixture evenly over the tetrazzini.
- Bake uncovered on the middle rack of the oven until the sauce is bubbly and the top is golden, about 20 minutes. Then put under the broiler for 1 minute to brown the top a little bit more.
- How To Cook Tomahawk Rib Eye Steak - October 3, 2018
- Keto Chicken Piccata - August 3, 2018
- Keto Low-Carb Salmon With White Wine Sauce - June 12, 2018
- Low Carb Meatloaf With A Delicious Twist - April 10, 2018
- Our Keto Journey Part 2: Getting Rid Of Stubborn Pounds And Guarding Against Alzheimer’s - March 24, 2018