Here’s an old favorite that you can enjoy gluten-free and it only takes a few more minutes to make than the condensed-soup kind. Tuna noodle casserole is my son’s favorite meal. Seriously, I could make it every week and Michael wouldn’t get tired of it. And that’s not surprising; it’s a creamy comforting and satisfying casserole.
Here’s how to make the creamy mushroom soup from scratch. Once you know how to do this, you can use it anytime a recipe calls for cream of mushroom soup.
First melt butter in a 3-quart saucepan over a medium heat until fragrant and bubbly. Then, add mushrooms, peppers, and onions. Cook, stirring occasionally until your veggies are tender, about 5 minutes. Now stir in flour and cook for another minute. Then remove your saucepan from the heat and whisk in milk. Finally, return the mixture back to the heat and cook, whisking, until the sauce comes to a boil and is thickened. This will take about 10 minutes.
And there you go. A fresh homemade cream of mushroom soup. When you make it yourself, you know what’s in it. 🙂
Now continue making your tuna noodle casserole. Turn off the burner on your stove. Add cheddar cheese to your creamy mushroom sauce and whisk until the cheese is melted.
Next drain two 5-ounce cans of tuna and place the tuna in a large mixing bowl. (I recommend this wild tuna.) Break up the tuna into flakes with a fork. Now stir in your hot cheesy mushroom sauce, cooked noodles (I use Dr. Schar TAGLIATELLE for a wide pasta which mimics wide egg noodles) and season with parsley, salt, and pepper. Now turn the mixture into a buttered baking dish.
Finally, pop your casserole into the oven until it’s bubbly and browned on top. Then get ready to dig in to this delicious classic tuna noodle casserole. It’s so unbelievably creamy and easy to make; a little too easy, really.
Enjoy and have a happy, healthy week.
And if you make this tuna noodle casserole, share your snap on Instagram and tag #glutenfreehomestead. I always love seeing your photos.
Want to save this recipe? Pin it!
Gluten Free Tuna Noodle Casserole
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ¾ cup thinly sliced mushrooms
- ¼ cup diced red or green bell pepper
- ¼ cup finely chopped onions
- ¼ cup Bob’s Red Mill GF All Purpose Baking Flour
- 2 ½ cups milk
- ¾ cup grated cheddar cheese
- Two 5-ounce cans of tuna
- 2 cups cooked pasta. Here I used Dr. Schar TAGLIATELLE for a wide pasta which mimics wide egg noodles)
- ¼ cup minced fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 375℉
- Butter a 2-quart shallow baking dish. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a 3-quart saucepan over medium heat until fragrant and bubbly. Add mushrooms, peppers, onions, and cook, stirring occasionally until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in GF flour and cook for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and whisk the milk in. Return to the heat and cook, whisking, until the sauce comes to a boil and is thickened, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and add cheddar cheese, whisk until melted.
- Drain tuna and turn into a large bowl, breaking into flakes with a fork. Stir in the hot cheese sauce, cooked pasta, parsley, salt, and pepper. Pour the mixture into the baking dish. Bake until bubbly and browned on top, 25 to 35 minutes. Serve and enjoy.