This Italian-American classic can be enjoyed using gluten free ingredients! Yay. Chicken parmigiana is a huge favorite with my family and if you ask me, I think the secret to delicious chicken parmigiana is definitely the sauce!
You can make a homemade sauce or you can use your favorite gluten free sauce from a jar. Prego says it is gluten free right on the label.
If you’re going to make homemade sauce, do that an hour before starting your chicken parigiana and simmer it on the back burner of your stove.
O.k. Ready to prepare your chicken? Rinse and pat the chicken dry. Then whisk together egg, salt, and milk in a bowl. Spread flour on a plate. And combine your gluten free bread crumbs and parmigiano in another wide, shallow bowl. (I use aged Parmigiano Reggiano)
Now dredge the chicken in the flour and shake off excess. Then dip each piece of chicken in the egg mixture and then coat with the breadcrumb mixture.
Finally, heat oil in a large skillet over a medium-high heat until shimmery and fragrant. Add the chicken and cook until browned, about 2 minutes on each side. Then place chicken on a plate on top of paper towels.
Now you’re ready to assemble your chicken parmigiana. Lightly oil a shallow baking dish and spoon some of your marinara sauce into the pan. Arrange the chicken cutlets over the sauce. Then spoon more sauce over the chicken. Sprinkle with parmigian and top with mozzarella.
When you’re ready to bake, preheat your oven to 350℉. Bake uncovered for 20 minutes until it’s heated through and the mozzarella cheese has melted. Serve hot, sprinkled with parsley.
Make this tonight. You’re going to love it. Buon appetito! Have a happy and healthy week!
Gluten Free Chicken Parmigiana
- 2 pounds chicken scaloppini my family likes very thin cutlets
- 1 cup gluten free bread crumbs I use Schar Bread Crumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup Bob’s Red Mill GF All Purpose Baking Flour
- 3/4 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese divided
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 1/2 cups gluten free marinara sauce homemade or store bought
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- chopped fresh parsley optional
- Rinse and pat dry chicken. Whisk together egg, salt, and milk in a bowl. Spread flour on a plate. Combine gluten free bread crumbs and 1/4 cup of the parmigiano in a wide, shallow bowl.
- Coat the chicken with the flour and shake off excess. Dip in the egg mixture and then coat with the breadcrumb mixture. Heat oil in a heavy 10-12 inch skillet over medium-high heat until shimmery and fragrant. Add the chicken and cook until browned, about 2 minutes on each side, adding more oil if necessary. Place chicken on a plate on top of paper towels.
- Position a rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly oil a shallow baking dish and spoon 1/2 cup of homemade marinara sauce into the pan. Arrange the chicken cutlets over the sauce. Spoon the remaining sauce over the chicken. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup of parmigiano and top with mozzarella. Bake until heated through, 20 minutes. Serve hot, sprinkled with parsley.
- Cheesy Cauliflower With Ham Casserole (Low-Carb) - May 21, 2019
- Pork Tenderloin Cordon Bleu - April 25, 2019
- Low-Carb Meatballs In Smoked Paprika Sauce - April 1, 2019
- How My Morning Routine Gives Me a Healthy Start to the Day - March 25, 2019
- Tastiest Low-Carb Keto Stuffed Cabbage - February 28, 2019