Wonderful gluten-free traditional meatballs. My friend’s grandmother gave me her traditional meatball recipe. Here’s my gluten-free version of the recipe.
When I was a young girl, my good friend was Italian. She often invited me to come with her to her grandmother’s house on Sunday. There were always large homemade meatballs, pork chops, sausage, etc.. There was always joking and laughter as her aunts, uncles, and cousins gathered together. They treated me like family, and I’ll never forget their warm smiles.
When I asked my friend’s lovely Grandma how she prepared her wonderful meatballs, she listed the ingredients as a handful of this and a handful of that.
What do you need to make delicious gluten-free traditional meatballs?
You just won’t believe how these simple ingredients (ground beef, an egg, Parmigiano cheese, parsley, garlic, salt and breadcrumbs) combine for mouthwatering meatballs.
How to make gluten-free traditional meatballs
*Free printable recipe card is available at the end of the post.
Ready to make traditional meatballs? Let’s go.
We start with ground beef. (I always recommend grass-fed beef when available.) Combine your beef with a beaten egg and a handful of Parmigiano cheese. In this case a handful equals a tablespoon. (I use aged Parmigiano Reggiano). Next add some parsley, about a teaspoon, and some fresh garlic.
Next, mix in a handful of your favorite breadcrumbs. Since my family is gluten-free, I use Shar’s bread crumbs, (In this case a handful is equal to a quarter of a cup). Season with salt.
Pro tips and Recipe notes
- Now you’re ready to roll your meatballs. Not too tight, however. You want to lightly roll them between your hands to form a ball that feels like it will hold together, but lightly so they will absorb the sauce that you will simmer them in after you fry them in oil.
- I use extra-virgin olive oil for frying over a medium flame being careful that the oil doesn’t smoke.
Finally simmer your meatballs in homemade sauce.
You’re going to love these traditional meatballs. É squisito!
P.S. If you make this recipe, share your snap on Instagram and tag #glutenfreehomestead. I always love seeing your photos.
More Recipes Like This
How to Cut and Prepare Spaghetti Squash (Includes Video!)
Want to save this gluten free traditional meatballs recipe? Pin it!
Gluten Free Traditional Meatballs
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 egg
- a handful of parmesan cheese about 1 tablespoon
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- some parsley about 1 teaspoon
- a handful of gluten free Shar’s bread crumbs about 1/4 cup
- some salt
- oil for frying
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.
- Roll into meatballs.
- Fry meatballs in oil and brown them well on all sides over medium-low heat, turning carefully about 10 minutes.
- Then simmer meatballs in 1 1/2-2 quarts of gluten free sauce.
- Serve and enjoy.
- You want to lightly roll your meatballs between your hands to form a ball that feels like it will hold together, but lightly so they will absorb the sauce that you will simmer them in after you fry them in oil.
- I use extra-virgin olive oil for frying over a medium flame being careful that the oil doesn't smoke. You can use another oil if you prefer.