These meatballs are so tasty you won’t believe they’re low-carb, grain-free, and nut-free. Topping them with sauce and cheese really takes them to the next level.
It’s 3:00 in the afternoon, and I’m trying to decide what to make for dinner. I’m craving meatballs, and I know my family loves them too. But since John and I have started following a low-carb diet, we stay away from meatballs because of the breadcrumbs.
But maybe we don’t have to. Maybe there’s a way to make delicious, low-carb meatballs without the breadcrumbs.
I grab my computer and start searching the Internet for recipe ideas, but nearly all of the low-carb meatball recipes contain almond flour. Since my daughter, Nicole, seems to be allergic to almonds, I try to avoid them in my cooking.
So, it’s time for me to get creative. 🙂 My goal: meatballs so tasty you won’t believe they’re low-carb, grain-free, and nut-free.
After tweaking this recipe several times until it was just right (yup, my kids got to enjoy these meatballs for days 😉 ), I finally discovered the perfect blend of ingredients for tender, juicy meatballs.
Want to cut carbs with me while still enjoying tasty meatballs? You’re going to love this dinner. I decided to try baking these meatballs in the oven covered with parmesan and mozzarella cheese. They were so tasty and satisfying, there wasn’t any need for a bowl of spaghetti.
How to make low-carb meatball parmesan
For these meatballs, we’re combining ground beef and ground pork, cauliflower, parmesan cheese, some chopped onion, fresh garlic, oregano, salt and pepper, a little water, and eggs to bind them all together. Then broiling them until golden brown for a nice depth of flavor. Easy peasy.
For the sauce, you can make a homemade sauce or you can use your favorite gluten free sauce from a jar. Prego says it is gluten free right on the label.
If you’re going to make homemade sauce, I recommend starting it an hour before you begin making the meatballs and simmer it on the back burner of your stove.
Now, as I mentioned before, what really takes this meal to the next level is placing your meatballs and sauce in a casserole dish and topping them with parmesan and mozzarella cheese. Then bake in the oven until the cheese is melted.
Voilà. There you go. Low-carb meatball parmesan for a quick easy dinner. And all this yumminess in just 30 minutes.
Yay! Meatballs are back on the menu. You see, if you can make a tasty meatball, you can make people happy. 🙂
Try this tonight. You’re going to love it.
Have a happy and healthy week! 💕
If you enjoyed this recipe, help support the blog by buying me a coffee. 🙂 Thank you!
P.S. If you make this, share your snap on Instagram and tag #glutenfreehomestead. I always love seeing your photos.
Pin low-carb meatball parmesan for later!
Low-Carb Meatball Parmesan For A Quick Easy Dinner
- For Meatballs:
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1/2 cup cauliflower, steamed and minced
- 6 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 teaspoons onion minced
- 2 large garlic cloves minced
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- For Casserole:
- 1 cup gluten free marinara sauce
- 8-12 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- Pre-heat your broiler.
- Steam cauliflower florets for 4 minutes. Then give the cauliflower a quick spin in your food processor fitted with the large chopping blade just until it is minced. You’ll need 1/2 cup.
- In a large bowl, combine meat, steamed minced cauliflower, 1/3 cup of parmesan, 6 ounces of mozzarella, onion, garlic, oregano, salt, and papper.
- Whisk eggs and water in a small bowl. Then add to the meat mixture. Gently mix with your hands until evenly combined.
- Now you’re ready to roll each meatball. Not too tight. You want to lightly roll them between your hands to form a ball that feels like it will hold together, but lightly so they will absorb the sauce.
- Then broil the meatballs for 10 minutes, turning them over half way through your cooking time.
- Take the meatballs out of the broiler and pre-heat your oven to 350℉.
- Spoon a thin layer of sauce over the bottom of your casserole dish.
- Place meatballs on top of the sauce.
- Top meatballs with 1 cup of sauce. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup of parmesan and 8-12 ounces of mozzarella.
- Bake for 15 minutes until the cheese melts. Serve and enjoy.
- Low-Carb Meatballs In Smoked Paprika Sauce - April 1, 2019
- How My Morning Routine Gives Me a Healthy Start to the Day - March 25, 2019
- Tastiest Low-Carb Keto Stuffed Cabbage - February 28, 2019
- Chicken And Peppers: Olive Oil And Garlic Style - January 2, 2019
- How To Cook Tomahawk Rib Eye Steak - October 3, 2018