There’s so much to love about this meatball parmesan. These meatballs are so tasty you won’t believe they’re low-carb, grain-free, and nut-free. Topping them with sauce and cheese really takes them to the next level.
It’s 3:00 in the afternoon, and I’m trying to decide what to make for dinner. I’m craving meatballs, and I know my family loves them too.
But since John and I have started following a low-carb diet, we stay away from meatballs because of the breadcrumbs.
But maybe we don’t have to. Maybe there’s a way to make delicious, low-carb meatballs without the breadcrumbs.
I grab my computer and start searching the Internet for recipe ideas, but nearly all of the low-carb meatball recipes contain almond flour.
Since my daughter, Nicole, seems to be allergic to almonds, I try to avoid them in my cooking.
So, it’s time for me to get creative. 🙂 My goal: meatballs so tasty you won’t believe they’re low-carb, grain-free, and nut-free.
After tweaking this recipe several times until it was just right (yup, my kids got to enjoy these meatballs for days 😉 ), I finally discovered the perfect blend of ingredients for tender, juicy meatballs.
Want to cut carbs with me while still enjoying tasty meatballs? You’re going to love this dinner.
I decided to try baking these meatballs in the oven covered with parmesan and mozzarella cheese. They were so tasty and satisfying, there wasn’t any need for a bowl of spaghetti.
*Free printable recipe card is available at the end of the post.
For these meatballs, we’re combining ground beef and ground pork, cauliflower, parmesan cheese, some chopped onion, fresh garlic, oregano, salt and pepper, and eggs to bind them all together. Then broiling them until golden brown for a nice depth of flavor. Easy peasy.
For the sauce, you can make a homemade sauce or you can use your favorite gluten free sauce from a jar. Prego says it is gluten free right on the label. And if you’re following a low-carb way of eating, choose the sauce with no added sugar.
If you’re going to make homemade sauce, I recommend starting it an hour before you begin making the meatballs and simmer it on the back burner of your stove.
Now, as I mentioned before, what really takes this meal to the next level is placing your meatballs and sauce in a casserole dish and topping them with parmesan and mozzarella cheese.
Then bake in the oven until the cheese is melted.
Pro tips and recipe notes
- I used a combination of ground beef and ground pork in this recipe. You can go with any combination of ground meat that you’d like. Or just use all ground beef. 80/20 chuck is the best choice.
Voilà. There you go. Low-carb meatball parmesan for a quick easy dinner. And all this yumminess in just 30 minutes.
Yay! Meatballs are back on the menu. You see, if you can make a tasty meatball, you can make people happy. 🙂
Try this tonight. You’re going to love it.
Have a happy and healthy week! 💕
P.S. If you make this, share your snap on Instagram and tag #glutenfreehomestead. I always love seeing your photos.
You might also like
Gluten Free Chicken Parmesan With step by step photos including the way to make it low-carb!
The Tastiest Stuffed Cabbage Whether you’re cutting out grains because of allergies, trying to lose those extra pounds, or you’re just looking for a super delicious comfort food this is just what you need!
More Low-Carb Recipes This is the link to all my low carb recipe
Pin for later!
Low-Carb Meatball Parmesan For A Quick Easy Dinner
- For Meatballs:
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 1/2 cups cauliflower, minced
- 6 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons onion minced
- 2 large garlic cloves minced
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- For Casserole:
- 1 cup gluten free marinara sauce
- 8-12 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- Pre-heat your broiler.
- Give the cauliflower a quick spin in your food processor fitted with the large chopping blade just until it is minced. You’ll need 1 1/2 cup.
- In a large bowl, combine meat, minced cauliflower, 1/3 cup of parmesan, 6 ounces of mozzarella, onion, garlic, oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Whisk eggs in a small bowl. Then add to the meat mixture. Gently mix with your hands until evenly combined.
- Now you’re ready to roll each meatball. Not too tight. You want to lightly roll them between your hands to form a ball that feels like it will hold together, but lightly so they will absorb the sauce.
- Then broil the meatballs for 10 minutes, turning them over half way through your cooking time.
- Take the meatballs out of the broiler and pre-heat your oven to 350℉.
- Spoon a thin layer of sauce over the bottom of your casserole dish.
- Place meatballs on top of the sauce.
- Top meatballs with 1 cup of sauce. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup of parmesan and 8-12 ounces of mozzarella.
- Bake for 15 minutes until the cheese melts. Serve and enjoy.
- If you’re going to make homemade sauce, I recommend starting it an hour before you begin making the meatballs and simmer it on the back burner of your stove.
- I used a combination of ground beef and ground pork in this recipe. You can go with any combination of ground meat that you'd like. Or just use all ground beef. 80/20 chuck is the best choice.