Over fifteen years ago, I had a lovely neighbor who shared this recipe with me that she had learned from a cooking class that she had taken. I’ve been making it ever since with a few revisions for gluten free ingredients. Gluten free chicken cacciatore, prepared with red wine in the style of southern Italy, is always a crowd pleaser.
Make this tonight. You’re going to love it.
Have a happy and healthy week! 💕
P.S. If you make this dish, share your snap on Instagram and tag #glutenfreehomestead. I always love seeing your photos.
Want to save this for later? Pin it!
Gluten Free Chicken Cacciatore
- 3 pounds of chicken cut into bite size pieces
- Bob’s Red Mill GF All Purpose Baking Flour for dredging
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 onions
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 8 ounce can gluten free tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free crushed tomatoes
- 2 green peppers
- 3/4 cup gluten free chicken bouillon
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup black olives
- 8 ounces of mushrooms sliced
- Rinse chicken and pat dry. Season the chicken with 1 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper. Dredge the chicken in gluten free flour to coat lightly. Heat oil in a dutch oven or wok over a medium-high heat. Add the chicken in batches and braise on both sides. Remove and set aside.
- Lower heat to medium and add 2 tablespoons of oil to the pot. Brown onions, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook about 30 seconds being careful not to burn the garlic. Then return chicken to the pot.
- Pour tomato sauce into a separate bowl. Add oregano, salt and pepper to taste. Stir and pour over chicken.
- Add wine and cook over a medium-high heat until the wine is evaporated, stirring and scraping up browned bits on the bottom.
- Add crushed tomatoes, green pepper, chicken bouillon, bay leaf and stir. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Finally, add olives and mushrooms. Stir and cook for 10 minutes more. Serves 6