Garlicky chicken with fresh basil and olives covered in homemade tomato sauce and served over spaghetti squash is a delicious meal.
Last week was my son Peter’s birthday. If you’ve been reading my blog for a while, you know that he takes all these gorgeous food photos. Happy birthday, Peter!
To celebrate his birthday, the whole family went to a Classic Albums Live performance of The Beatles’ Abbey Road. Any Beatles fans out there? It was a fun night, the musicians were impressive, and I definitely recommend checking out one of these shows if one ever comes to your town. I love that my kids enjoy listening to the same music I grew up with.
We actually went to the show a few days before Peter’s actual birthday which meant that I was able to make an extra-special birthday dinner. A new recipe that we had never had before! Garlicky chicken with fresh basil and olives covered in homemade tomato sauce and served over spaghetti squash.
This is a very easy dish to put together: there’s only a little prep required, and then the squash bakes in the oven while the tomatoes simmer. In a little more than an hour, you’ll be serving up one yummy gluten-free and paleo meal.
Have you ever had spaghetti squash before? It’s a wonderful, healthy pasta substitute. If you close your eyes, you’ll think you’re eating angel hair pasta. In my previous post this week, I showed step-by-step how to cook it. The toughest part will be cutting it in half. Click here if you’d like to see how.
While the squash bakes in the oven, prepare the chicken. I recommend pounding each chicken breast with a meet tenderizer because this cut can have a tendency to be a little tough. However, a few whacks with the mallet softens the fibers of the chicken, and your chicken will turn out nice and tender.
Then brown your chicken in oil. Transfer it to a plate, cover it and set aside while you start your sauce. Add diced tomatoes to the oil in the pan where you cooked the chicken. Bring to a boil and turn down to simmer for half an hour. The tomatoes will break down as they simmer. As you stir the sauce, you can crush the tomatoes with a fork.
Next, add your butter and five cloves of diced garlic. Yes, that’s why it’s called garlicky chicken. 🙂 Add the chicken back into the pan to heat through. Top with your fresh basil and olives.
Just look at that sweet tomato sauce. These pictures are making me hungry all over again. Really, this dish is as good as it looks. No, actually, that’s not quite true. It’s even better.
Finally, your squash should be done and cool enough to handle. Scrape the spaghetti like strands from your squash and divide onto individual plates. Then top each pile of spaghetti squash with a chicken breast and your flavorful tomato sauce.
Garlicky chicken over spaghetti squash is an excellent choice for birthday celebrations or whenever you want a special, scrumptious meal. Paired with spaghetti squash, it brings the lovely taste of fall to your table. Enjoy!
Love chicken? Try these recipes
Keto chicken piccata – This buttery and lemony keto chicken piccata is a super low-carb twist on an easy delicious family favorite.
Easy marinated chicken breasts – When you want something healthy with tons of flavor for dinner but don’t have time to fuss, this nutritious paleo and gluten free meal comes together in a flash: easy marinated chicken breasts.
Grainless crispy chicken nuggets– Chicken nuggets are coated in a spicy batter before frying. Absolutely delicious and go from stovetop to your table in 30 minutes flat.
Bacon wrapped barbecue chicken – This is quick and easy and can be made on your grill or in your oven. You’re going to love these fun little bites.
Gluten Free Chicken Wings (Keto, Low Carb, And Paleo) -Whether you bake them in your oven or barbecue them outside on the grill, chicken wings are a year-round favorite. Get all my cooking tips for perfect wings in this recipe.
Love this recipe? Pin it!
Garlicky Chicken Over Spaghetti Squash
- 1 pound thin sliced chicken breast
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 roma plum tomatoes diced
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- one handful fresh basil chopped
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 spaghetti squash
- Preheat your oven to 375°F.
- Cut you squash in half, remove seeds and strings with a spoon and brush the insides generously with olive oil. Bake face down in a baking dish for 45 minutes - 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, cover and pound chicken breasts with a meat tenderizer. Then sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Add the chicken and brown about 3 minutes on each side. Turn off the flame. Remove chicken to a plate, cover and set aside.
- Then add the diced tomatoes to the oil in the skillet, bring to a boil and simmer about 30 minutes. The tomatoes will break down as they simmer. Stir occasionally, crushing the tomatoes with a fork.
- Add garlic and butter and stir.
- Add the chicken back in stir and heat through. Finally, stir in the basil and olives.
- By now your squash should be done and cool enough to handle. Scrape the spaghetti like strands from your squash and divide onto individual plates. Top with chicken and sauce.
- Serve immediately.
- 22 Keto Recipes With Ground Beef - January 29, 2024
- Au Jus Gravy Recipe (Low Carb) - December 22, 2023
- 8 Best Keto Snacks - November 26, 2023
- Crispy Salami Chips Recipe - November 21, 2023
- How To Make Caprese Salad: A Classic Italian Appetizer - November 17, 2023