Grainless crispy chicken nuggets are coated in a spicy batter before frying. Absolutely delicious and go from stovetop to your table in 30 minutes flat.
My oldest son was visiting this past weekend and some time around 5:00, he asked, “Mom, just curious, what are we having for dinner?“
“Some kind of chicken,” I replied as I wasn’t sure yet what I was going to make.
“Chicken again? The problem with chicken is it tastes like…everything!” He was making a joke referring to one of his favorite Matrix movies. If you aren’t familiar with the scene, you can click here to watch it: Tasty Wheat Tastes Like Tuna or Chicken. 🙂
So I decided it would be fun to surprise my family with a completely new chicken recipe. Surfing the internet for ideas, I found a recipe for crispy chicken bites on paleoleap.com. Eureka! This was just the type of fun, crunchy food I was looking for to treat our taste buds!
Actually, paleo recipes work for us gluten free folks because they don’t use grains. I tweaked the recipe just a bit, adding a little garlic and spices for extra flavor.
What’s to love about this recipe?
There are two things that I love about this recipe: First, the tapioca starch batter. Slightly sweet tapioca starch is naturally gluten free and promotes browning and crispiness.
Second, the chicken is fried in coconut oil which make this a healthy alternative to deep fried nuggets. Compared to olive oil, coconut oil heats at a lower temperature. This means that it does not oxidize and form harmful free radicals which happens when frying with olive oil.
Read more about why coconut oil is a healthy cooking oil here.
These grainless chicken nuggets were ready in half an hour and got two thumbs up from my discriminating taste testers! I made three pounds of chicken, and they were devoured in no time.
My son had to agree that chicken can sometimes be quite tasty.
*Free printable recipe card is available at the end of the post.
To make the chicken nuggets, make a batter with eggs and tapioca starch, garlic powder, paprika, salt, and pepper. Heat the coconut oil in a large skillet. You will know that it is hot when you see small ripples form.
Set up a plate with paper towels while you’re waiting for the oil to heat up. Pan-fry the chicken in batches for 5 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels.
Finally, transfer the chicken to a broiler pan and broil for 3-4 minutes on each side until crispy.
Can I use another oil instead of coconut oil?
Totally! You’re pretty free with whatever kind of oil or fat you use. Just be sure when you heat the oil, it doesn’t smoke.
How simple is that? You can season your batter with ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper if you like hot and spicy.
More chicken recipes you’ll love
Love this recipe? Pin it!
Grainless Crispy Chicken Nuggets
- Combine eggs, tapioca starch, garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Place chicken in the batter and coat well.
- Heat coconut oil in a skillet.
- Carefully place the chicken pieces in batches into the hot skillet, and cook for 4 to 5 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels.
- Transfer to broiler pan and broil for 3-4 minutes on each side. Serve immediately.
- You can season your batter with ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper if you like hot and spicy.
- You’re pretty free with whatever kind of oil or fat you choose. Just be sure when you heat the oil, it doesn't smoke.
- 8 Easy Low Carb Keto Quick Bites - November 26, 2023
- Crispy Salami Chips Recipe - November 21, 2023
- How To Make Caprese Salad: A Classic Italian Appetizer - November 17, 2023
- Chicken Soup: A Wholesome Low Carb, Gluten-Free, Whole 30 Recipe - November 12, 2023
- Make Easy Pancakes from Scratch with Leftover Gluten-Free Bread - April 24, 2023