The other day, I found grass-fed ground beef on sale at my local supermarket. I considered making a meatloaf (one of my family’s favorite meals), but then I thought instead that it would be fun to try something new. So I decided to make Salisbury steaks.
But these are not your typical Salisbury steaks. To give them another dimension of flavor, I mixed in some sweet Italian sausage. Adding sausage really took them to another level of juicy deliciousness.
Now, you may be thinking, Salisbury steak is really just a bunless hamburger. Hardly. With sausage in the mix and a homemade gravy, these steaks are incredible. Wow, my family loved them. Right away, I knew that I just had to share them with you.
These are every meat lover’s dream come true: tender grass-fed ground beef and ground sausage steaks smothered in rich homemade onion gravy with mushrooms.
Best of all, they’re 100% gluten free, 100% paleo, and 100% low carb too.
Note: if you’re sensitive to gluten as we are, just check the ingredients of your sausage to make sure it’s gluten free. Sometimes I find a package of already ground sausage that I can use, but if not, I can slip the sausage out of their casings.
Just feast your eyes on this juicy steak. These pictures are making me hungry again.
Are you ready to wow your family and friends with a new scrumptious meal?
Let’s make some Salisbury steak!
First, whisk the egg, Red Boat fish sauce, dijon mustard, salt, and pepper together in a large bowl.
If you don’t have Red Boat fish sauce, you can use Worcester sauce, but I love Red Boat because it’s gluten-free and produced in a gluten-free facility. The ingredients are quite simple: just anchovy and sea salt.
Now add ground beef, sausage, garlic, and onions, and mix well. Then divide your mixture into 4 parts and form into oval patties that look like steaks.
Next, heat oil and butter in your skillet until it’s hot but not smoking. Then place steaks on the pan for about 8 minutes.
Now you can flip it. Cook for another 8 minutes until they are cooked through with an internal temperature of 160 ℉.
When the steaks are done, transfer them to a plate and cover to keep warm.
Now wipe the skillet clean and get ready to make homemade gravy.
First, heat a tablespoon of butter in the same skillet. Add mushrooms and onions. Sprinkle with rosemary and season with salt. In about 5 minutes, your veggies will be browned.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, make a slurry by mixing together two tablespoons of beef broth with tapioca flour. Later, this will be used to thicken the gravy. You can leave out this step if you prefer a thinner sauce.
Once the veggies are browned, add two cups of beef broth, dijon mustard, and Red Boat to the mushrooms and onions.
Finally, stir in the slurry, heat to just bubbling, turn down to a simmer, and whisk until thickened about 1-2 minutes. Then season with salt and pepper to taste.
Return the Salisbury steaks to the skillet and spoon the onions and mushrooms over the steaks. Let them simmer for a few minutes. For a pretty garnish, add some chopped parsley and serve.
For a fast and easy-to-prepare delicious meal, you can’t go wrong with Salisbury steaks.
Have a happy and healthy week!
If you make this recipe, share your snap on Instagram and tag #glutenfreehomestead. I always love seeing your photos.
Love this recipe? Pin it!
- 1 pound ground beef
- ¼ pound ground sweet Italian sausage
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons Red Boat
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard, Annie's is gluten free
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- For gravy:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 8 ounces of mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon Red Boat
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard, Annie's is gluten free
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon of tapioca flour
- 2 cups of beef broth + 2 tablespoons, homemade or store bought
- A handful of parsley, chopped
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the egg, Red Boat, mustard salt, and pepper. Add ground beef, sausage, garlic and onions and mix well. Divide into 4 parts and Form into oval patties that look like steaks.
- Heat oil and butter in a large skillet. Add the steaks and cook for 8 minutes on one side before flipping over. Then cook for another 8 minutes until they are cooked through with an internal temperature of 160 ℉. Transfer steaks to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Wipe the skillet clean.
- For gravy: Heat 1 tablespoon of butter in the same skillet. Add mushrooms and onions. Sprinkle with rosemary and season with salt. Cook about 5 minutes until brown.
- In a small bowl, make a slurry by mixing together 2 tablespoons of broth with tapioca flour.
- Add 2 cups of broth, mustard and Red Boat to the mushrooms and onions.
- Stir in the slurry, heat to just bubbling. Turn down to a simmer and whisk until thickened about 1-2 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Return the Salisbury steaks to the skillet and spoon the onions and mushrooms over the steaks. Simmer for a few minutes. Garnish with parsley and serve.
- Keto Low-Carb Salmon With White Wine Sauce - June 12, 2018
- Low Carb Meatloaf With A Delicious Twist - April 10, 2018
- Our Keto Journey Part 2: Getting Rid Of Stubborn Pounds And Guarding Against Alzheimer’s - March 24, 2018
- Low-Carb Meatball Parmesan For A Quick Easy Dinner - February 23, 2018
- Bursting With Flavor: 50 Low-Carb And Gluten-Free Recipes Designed To Delight Your Tastebuds - January 25, 2018