This is a juicy bacon cheeseburger with caramelized onions and peppers on a fluffy gluten free bun. It’s one of the best burgers you’ll ever have.
Friday night is burger night here at our house. Last week I decided to add a creative twist to this old favorite by adding special toppings.
One of my sons, who was visiting for the weekend, tasted this burger and exclaimed, “Wow, Mom what did you do to this burger? Seriously, it’s one of the best burgers I’ve ever had.” That was quite a compliment since he lives in the big city and has frequented some of the best burger places in the world.
My husband also couldn’t stop praising my new creation, a juicy bacon cheeseburger decked with sweet caramelized onions and peppers on a delicious gluten-free Canyon Bakehouse bun.
I’ve been making burgers for our family ever since our children were little. However, when my husband and two of my sons found out they had gluten sensitivity thirteen years ago, we could no longer enjoy the burgers with hamburger buns. They still remained one of our weekly dinners, but without a bun, they weren’t the same.
After a long search, we finally discovered fluffy, gluten free Canyon Bakehouse buns sprinkled with sesame seeds. Excellent.
Now, topped with bacon and caramelized onions and peppers, our Friday night cheeseburgers have truly become extraordinary. Even better, I have begun serving grass-fed burgers, which are not only delicious but also have many health benefits that you can read about here.
- ground beef burgers
- an onion
- bell pepper
- extra-virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- garlic powder
- gluten free Canyon Bakehouse hamburger buns
- swiss cheese
- no nitrate bacon We like Oscar Mayer Selects
- romaine lettuce
- and ketchup
First, cook the bacon and set aside.
Season burgers with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Grill or broil the burgers, about 4 minutes on each side. Top with cheese and cook for about 1 more minute.
Meanwhile, heat oil and butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and peppers and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring every few minutes, until onions are caramelized and peppers are slightly browned, about 10 minutes.
Now, lightly toast the Canyon Bakehouse buns.
Place lettuce on each bun, drizzle with ketchup, top with a cheeseburger, the caramelized onions and peppers, and finally bacon!
And there you go. Dig in and enjoy!
More recipes like this
Healthier Homemade French Fries: Serve your burger with homemade french fries. They’re crispy on the outside, fluffy inside, and not a bit greasy.
Salisbury Steak With Homemade Gravy: Now, you may be thinking, Salisbury steak is really just a bunless hamburger. Hardly. With sausage in the mix and a homemade gravy, these steaks are incredible.
Review: Cup 4 Cup Gluten Free Chocolate Brownie Mix: These gourmet-tasting brownies are delightfully fudgy and intensely chocolaty: the perfect dessert treat.
Want to save this recipe? Pin it!
Bacon Cheeseburger with Caramelized Onions and Peppers on a Gluten Free Bun
- 4 burgers
- 1 sweet onion thinly sliced
- 1 bell pepper thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- garlic powder to taste
- 4 gluten free Canyon Bakehouse hamburger buns
- 4 slices swiss cheese
- 8 slices bacon We like Oscar Mayer Selects
- 4 leaves romaine lettuce
- Cook the bacon and set aside.
- Season burgers with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Grill or broil burgers, about 4 minutes on each side. Top with cheese and cook for about 1 more minute.
- Meanwhile, heat oil and butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and peppers and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cook, stirring every few minutes, until onions are caramelized and peppers are slightly browned, about 10 minutes.
- Lightly toast the buns and place lettuce on each, drizzle with ketchup, top with cheeseburger, caramelized onions and peppers and finally bacon!