You’re going to love this tasty beef brisket and easy to make BBQ sauce.
Ever have one of those insanely busy days when you know you’re just not going to have enough time to prepare dinner?
That’s what happened to me the other day. I had a lot of errands to run in the afternoon, and then Nicole and I planned to workout at 4:00. I’ve been doing resistance training after learning about the many benefits; however, the last thing I wanted to do after lifting weights was cook dinner. Slow cooked barbecue beef brisket to the rescue. A few simple steps in the morning and a delicious, hearty meal was waiting to be enjoyed at the end of the crazy day.
If there’s any cut of meat that the slow cooker seems to have been designed for, it’s beef brisket. Brisket is a cut of meat from the breast or lower chest of the cow. It has to be cooked slowly to dissolve all the connective tissues. Slow cooking results in a really tender, super juicy, incredibly flavorful beef that easily pulls apart with a fork. And, of course, the recipe is ridiculously easy: the perfect set it and forget it slow cooker recipe.
For the best tasting meat, I recommend grass-fed. It’s healthier and contains more nutrients than its grain-fed counterpart. I’ve been ordering from a local supplier in upstate New York. If you’re not in New York, you may be able to locate a local farm in your area at this site.
In order to get a nice brown crust on the outside of the brisket, pan fry it for several minutes before putting it in the slow cooker. Then you can make the sauce in the same pan and pour it over the brisket before turning on the slow cooker.
The sauce is what really takes this brisket to the next level. It’s a mildly spicy, honey sauce that gives the brisket a lovely barbecued flavor. First, start with onions, add some beef stock seasoned with smoked paprika, then flavor with a little Dijon mustard, next organic ketchup, vinegar, and raw honey. Finally, add a teaspoon of Red Boat.
You could use Worcester sauce instead, but I like Red Boat because all of Red Boat’s products are gluten-free and are produced in a gluten free facility. The ingredients are quite simple: just anchovy and sea salt.
Now all that needs to be done is cover and cook. Aren’t slow cookers the best thing ever? You’ll get home from a busy day and dinner will be made! (If you are looking to invest in a high-quality slow cooker, I recommend this one by Hamilton Beach).
When I made this brisket, my family had gotten up a little late and so we ended up eating a late breakfast (more like brunch!). By the time I set up my brisket in the slow cooker, I only had six hours until dinner. (As I said before, it was a crazy day). But it still turned out amazing! Even four hours on high would probably have been fine.
Ideally, though, this dish turns out best if the meat is slow cooked on low for seven to eight hours. As the brisket cooks in the sauce, the seasonings infuse the beef, and the beef juices flavor the sauce. My husband’s verdict: a home run.
You know that we were licking our fingers right after that shot was taken. 😉 If you have any brisket left over the next day, it would be perfect for a sandwich for lunch. Pile it high on gluten free bread, top with lettuce, and cover it in the tasty sauce.
Enjoy! Have a happy and healthy week.
Love this recipe? Pin it!
SLOW COOKER BEEF BRISKET WITH GLUTEN FREE HONEY BARBECUE SAUCE
- extra virgin olive oil
- 2- 3 pounds beef brisket
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¾ cup gluten free beef stock homemade or store bought
- ½ cup raw honey
- 2 tablespoons gluten free Dijon mustard
- ½ cup gluten free ketchup
- 1/3 cup Bragg's apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Red Boat
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a skillet over high heat. Brown the brisket on both sides and transfer to your slow cooker.
- Add another tablespoon of oil and sauté the onions until soft, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 2 minutes more.
- Add beef stock, honey, mustard, ketchup, vinegar, and Red Boat. Heat and stir and season with smoked paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Pour sauce over the brisket in the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook for 8 hours on LOW or 4 to 5 hours on HIGH, until the meat is fork-tender.
- Remove the meat to a cutting board and slice it thinly against the grain.
- Skim fat from the cooking juices. Transfer to a saucepan and reduce for about 10 minutes. Spoon over the sliced meat and serve.
- Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies - November 30, 2021
- Pumpkin Spice Pancakes (Gluten Free) - November 19, 2021
- Gluten Free Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies (Egg Free) - November 5, 2021
- Spoon Bread Recipe With Rosemary And Bacon - July 14, 2021
- Country Style Pork Ribs In The Oven (Low Carb) - May 4, 2021