You’re going to love this tasty slow cooker beef brisket and easy to make BBQ sauce.
Ever have one of those insanely busy days when you know you’re just not going to have enough time to prepare dinner?
That’s what happened to me the other day.
I had a lot of errands to run in the afternoon, and then Nicole and I planned to workout at 4:00. I’ve been doing resistance training after learning about the many benefits; however, the last thing I wanted to do after lifting weights was cook dinner.
Slow cooked barbecue beef brisket to the rescue. A few simple steps in the morning and a delicious, hearty meal was waiting to be enjoyed at the end of the crazy day.
What is brisket?
If there’s any cut of meat that the slow cooker seems to have been designed for, it’s beef brisket. Brisket is a cut of meat from the breast or lower chest of the cow. It has to be cooked slowly to dissolve all the connective tissues.
Slow cooking results in a really tender, super juicy, incredibly flavorful beef that easily pulls apart with a fork. And, of course, the recipe is ridiculously easy: the perfect set it and forget it slow cooker recipe.
For the best tasting meat, I recommend grass-fed. It’s healthier and contains more nutrients than its grain-fed counterpart.
In order to get a nice brown crust on the outside of the brisket, pan fry it for several minutes before putting it in the slow cooker. Then you can make the sauce in the same pan and pour it over the brisket before turning on the slow cooker.
The sauce is what really takes this brisket to the next level. It’s a mildly spicy, honey sauce that gives the brisket a lovely barbecued flavor.
First, start with onions, add some beef stock seasoned with smoked paprika, then flavor with a little Dijon mustard, next organic ketchup, vinegar, and raw honey. Finally, add a teaspoon of Red Boat.
You could use Worcester sauce instead, but I like Red Boat because all of Red Boat’s products are gluten-free and are produced in a gluten free facility. The ingredients are quite simple: just anchovy and sea salt.
Now all that needs to be done is cover and cook. Aren’t slow cookers the best thing ever?
You’ll get home from a busy day and dinner will be made! (If you are looking to invest in a high-quality slow cooker, I recommend this one by Hamilton Beach).
When I made this brisket, my family had gotten up a little late and so we ended up eating a late breakfast (more like brunch!). By the time I set up my brisket in the slow cooker, I only had six hours until dinner. (As I said before, it was a crazy day).
But it still turned out amazing! Even four hours on high would probably have been fine.
Ideally, though, this dish turns out best if the meat is slow cooked on low for seven to eight hours. As the brisket cooks in the sauce, the seasonings infuse the beef, and the beef juices flavor the sauce. My husband’s verdict: a home run.
You know that we were licking our fingers right after that shot was taken. 😉 If you have any brisket left over the next day, it would be perfect for a sandwich for lunch. Pile it high on gluten free bread, top with lettuce, and cover it in the tasty sauce.
Enjoy! Have a happy and healthy week.
More slow cooker recipes
Slow Cooker Pork Osso Buco – This is super easy to make in a slow cooker, and the meat is so tender and juicy, that it literally falls right off the bone.
Amazing Slow Cooker Pot Roast You’ve Got To Try – Simmering spice-rubbed meat with sweet carrots and potatoes low and slow all day in the natural juices tenderizes the meat and is such a nutritious way to cook. And the clean up is so fast and easy too.
How To Make Amazing Pork Chops In Your Slow Cooker – These low-carb pork chops are mouthwateringly tender and cooked over a bed of sweet carrots and onions in the most intense savory gravy. In this recipe, I share my five tips for making amazing pork chops.
Love this recipe? Pin it!
Slow Cooker Beef Brisket With Gluten Free Honey Barbecue Sauce
- extra virgin olive oil
- 2- 3 pounds beef brisket
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a skillet over high heat. Brown the brisket on both sides and transfer to your slow cooker.
- Add another tablespoon of oil and sauté the onions until soft, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 2 minutes more.Add beef stock, honey, mustard, ketchup, vinegar, and Red Boat. Heat and stir and season with smoked paprika, salt, and pepper.Pour sauce over the brisket in the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook for 8 hours on LOW or 4 to 5 hours on HIGH, until the meat is fork-tender.
- Remove the meat to a cutting board and slice it thinly against the grain.
- Skim fat from the cooking juices. Transfer to a saucepan and reduce for about 10 minutes. Spoon over the sliced meat and serve.
- 8 Easy Low Carb Keto Quick Bites - November 26, 2023
- Crispy Salami Chips Recipe - November 21, 2023
- How To Make Caprese Salad: A Classic Italian Appetizer - November 17, 2023
- Chicken Soup: A Wholesome Low Carb, Gluten-Free, Whole 30 Recipe - November 12, 2023
- Make Easy Pancakes from Scratch with Leftover Gluten-Free Bread - April 24, 2023