This is a terrific midweek meal. It will be on the table in just 30 minutes. It’s big on flavor and easy to clean up since it’s all made in one pan.
This recipe is a one-pan meal, which makes dinner super easy. I’ve prepared a free eBook of one-pan meals for you, so be sure to check out how to get your copy below!
Happy New Year! I hope you had a wonderful holiday. Have you set your New Year’s resolutions, yet?
I’d like to experiment more with new flavors. So I’m kicking off the new year with this savory chicken stir fry that’s flavored with a beautiful medley of Indian spices.
I first became interested in Indian spices last fall when I saw the wonderful movie The Hundred-Foot Journey. The movie is about an Indian family that travels to France to open a restaurant. I wrote all about it when I was inspired to make you an Italian Frittata.
In the movie, the young chef Hassan (played by Manish Dayal) dares to update classic French recipes with Indian spices. These spices intrigued me. Each spice has its own aroma and character. I’ve been experimenting with them ever since.
And they’re amazing. They make this quick and easy stir-fry super tasty.
Ingredients you’ll need to make this Savory Chicken Stir Fry
I’ve seasoned it with some of my favorite Indian spices: smoky cumin, sweet coriander, pungent turmeric, and garam masala (a wonderful spice blend popular in Indian cooking).
If you’re already a fan of Indian cuisine, you probably have the necessary spices for this dish on hand. Just pick up some chicken, spinach, tomatoes, a red onion, mushrooms, cilantro and a lemon at your supermarket, and you can make this tonight.
How to make this Savory Chicken Stir Fry
Ready to make the savory chicken stir fry with spinach, mushrooms, and tomatoes?
In a large frying pan or wok, heat avocado oil over a medium flame. I love cooking with avocado oil. Refined avocado oil is highly nutritious and loaded with antioxidants. It’s very heat-stable with one of the highest smoke points making it one of the best possible oils for stir frying. You don’t need to have a high flame. Just keep the flame on medium and make sure the oil doesn’t start to smoke. Read more about cooking with healthy fats here.
Add chicken and cook, stirring continuously until the chicken is tender, about five minutes. Remove the chicken to a plate and set aside. Drain the pan juices from the wok and wipe the wok clean.
Now we’re ready to cook the vegetables.
Heat some more oil in the wok. Add spinach and season with turmeric, cumin, and coriander. Cook for a minute until the spinach wilts and the cumin is browned. Add mushrooms, tomatoes, and onions. Stir and cook for fifteen minutes until softened and most of the liquid has evaporated.
Season with garam masala and salt. Stir and continue cooking for another minute.
Then stir in lemon juice and fresh chopped cilantro. Now if you like a little heat, you could add just a pinch of cayenne pepper. Just 1/8 of a teaspoon is all you need.
Finally, toss the chicken back in. Stir until well combined and serve.
This is a terrific midweek meal. It will be on the table in just 30 minutes. It’s big on flavor and easy to clean up since it’s all made in one pan. I’d love to hear how you like it. Let me know in the comments below. Have a happy and healthy week, friends!
If you enjoy this recipe, you might also enjoy my ebook One-Pan Meals that has many more easy and delicious recipes for you to try using just one pan so you won’t have to spend hours cleaning dishes.
Love this recipe? Pin it!
Savory Chicken Stir Fry With Spinach, Mushrooms, And Tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons avocado oil divided
- 2 pounds of chicken breasts cut into bite size pieces
- 5 ounces baby spinach
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 pounds mushrooms cleaned and sliced
- 1 red onion thinly sliced
- 2 tomatoes diced or 1 14-ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper optional
- In a large frying pan or wok, heat 2 tablespoons of the avocado oil over a medium flame, but not smoking.
- Add chicken and cook, stirring continuously until the chicken is tender, about five minutes. Remove the chicken to a plate and set aside. Drain the pan juices from the wok. Wipe the wok clean so it will be ready for cooking your vegetables
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil. Add spinach and season with turmeric, cumin, and coriander. Cook for 1 minute. Add mushrooms, tomatoes, and onions. Stir and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add garam masala and salt. Stir and continue cooking for another minute.
- Stir in lemon juice, cilantro, and cayenne pepper (optional).
- Toss the chicken back in. Stir until well combined and serve.
- Cheesy Cauliflower With Ham Casserole (Low-Carb) - May 21, 2019
- Pork Tenderloin Cordon Bleu - April 25, 2019
- Low-Carb Meatballs In Smoked Paprika Sauce - April 1, 2019
- How My Morning Routine Gives Me a Healthy Start to the Day - March 25, 2019
- Tastiest Low-Carb Keto Stuffed Cabbage - February 28, 2019